Helmet Buffeting on Touring Bike

Helmet Buffeting on Touring Bike

Postby KOfromCO » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 pm

I got a Street Glide Special recently and have found the helmet buffeting at highway speeds to be so bad it impairs my vision. Does anyone have ideas on how to reduce/eliminate this? I'm 5'3" and wear a full face helmet. I tried the smallest HD windspliter and it was worse than the small stock screen.
Current: '17 HD Street Glide Special (crushed ice pearl)
Prior:
'13 HD Softail Deluxe (3/13 - 9/17) (red)
'11 Honda Shadow Arrow 750 (6/12 - 3/13) (red)
'11 V-Star 250
(3/12 - 6/12) (black)
KOfromCO

Re: Helmet Buffeting on Touring Bike

Postby deeg » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:09 am

You'll have to swap screens until you find something acceptable or use no screen at all. Its the size/shape of the screen and your height and seating position that determines where the wind will end up. Some screens are better at deflecting it over or around you, some are worse. My R850R screen dumps it just above eyebrow level and buffets the heck out of my head. I scooch down about two inches and its gone. One of these days, I'll replace the plexi with a slightly taller piece.
deeg

Postby KOfromCO » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:29 am

Well, someone at the HD dealership told me about Freedom Shields. I looked them up and they located in Colorado (Pine, CO which is in the mountains). I emailed John (John and Debbie are the owners) and told him I really didn't want to ride up to his business this time of year. He and his wife drove some distance to meet me. He brought a couple different demo shields for me to try. He put one on and I went to the highway to ride to the next exit to see if it helped. He brought two different heights (based on our conversations), two different colors, and two different widths. I ordered an extra wide, 6", light grey shield from him. The next week (the day after Thanksgiving), they met us again and he put the new shield on my bike for me. Oh, and I talked my husband into ordering one also. The day of I tried the demo shields, John talked to my husband, observed him on his bike, and took measurements.

The new windshields have made a tremendous difference!!

After the windshield, I added a triple tree wind deflector based on advice from others on another forum. I can't say it made much more of a difference. I have also ordered a set of fairing "wing" wind deflectors but don't have them yet.

Besides the above, the last thing most of the folks seem to have done is added the fork wind deflectors. I'm hoping I won't need to. Honestly, the windshield has made enough of a difference by itself that I'm good to go.
Current: '17 HD Street Glide Special (crushed ice pearl)
Prior:
'13 HD Softail Deluxe (3/13 - 9/17) (red)
'11 Honda Shadow Arrow 750 (6/12 - 3/13) (red)
'11 V-Star 250
(3/12 - 6/12) (black)
KOfromCO

Postby deeg » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:29 am

What an awesome thing to do for a customer! Glad you were able to find something that works. nothing more annoying that building neck muscles on a long ride. hahaha
deeg

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:18 pm

Great that you have a solution to the helmet problem and that was awesome customer service. I'm looking for a replacement for my '97 Heritage. It has a tall mama jamma windshield that I look through, can't really look over and it does vibrate, makes everything shimmy a little. It's not dangerous, mostly annoying. I'm concerned that a shorter shield will put my helmet in the buffering zone. I'm having trouble finding one for a 20 year old bike, Harley still makes them, National doesn't, I'm not a fan of Memphis Shades, I'll check out the Freedom ones.

Thanks.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Return to Harley-Davidson