Helmets with sunvisors

Discussion on riding gear for women

Helmets with sunvisors

Postby deMoMo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:19 am

For 30+ years I swore by my contact lenses. But last year I finally got a pair of glasses that fit me, that I can see well in, and that are overall awesome. I wear them almost all of the time, except for when I'm working out (it doesn't matter how well my glasses fit, they always fall off when I'm working out).

I am not a fan of lenses that get dark in the sun, for a variety of reasons. I really don't want those clip on thingies. and I don't really want to get prescription sunglasses.

So I'm thinking about getting a helmet with one of those retractable tinted shields. Does anyone have any experience with those? Are they really a suitable replacement for sunglasses?
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Re: Helmets with sunvisors

Postby Myspirit » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:22 pm

i have a helmet that is full face and has the retractable sunshield. It actually works nice. If you like the full face, I think you will be happy with it. Mine is from Harley and is easy to use.
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby filmmommy » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:08 am

I am new to riding, but have had a helmet for a while for riding with my friend on his bike. I have a Scorpion helmet with a sun visor. It was not the most expensive of helmets, but I really love it and will be hard-pressed to move up to a more expensive one any time soon. The sun visor is not as dark as sunglasses, so I do find I squint a bit in bright sun, but I couldn't figure out how to fit sunglasses on with the helmet. It also has an air pump to help it fit you nicely, which helped cut down on the headaches I got when wearing a friend's extra helmet. It's also nice if I feel like putting the face shield up for a few minutes (if I am getting hot and doing slow maneuvers) because it feels like it would still provide minimal protection from bugs or dirt.

I do know you can also get the tinted face shields, but then you'd have to take it off and put the clear one back on any time you the tinted would be too dark.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:21 am

I wear prescription sunglasses, but that doesn't cut down on the glare when the sun is starting to set. I put this on my helmet (I have a full face)

"The Original" Helmet Sunblocker

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BS ... UTF8&psc=1

It makes a HUGE difference. Also a lot cheaper, and you don't have to worry about it being too dark for sunglasses, but still too light to not have something. I still wear sunglasses during the day though.
DeputySprinkles

Postby deMoMo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:22 am

Thank you all! I think that I'm going to try both ways - internal visor and glare blocker. I am looking forward to a shopping trip!
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:01 am

I wear regular sunglasses and a half helmet, I don't need prescription glasses for riding. I had a sun shield on my last helmet, It wasn't really dark enough and I got a lot of wind in my eyes. My Hubby has Cocoons, he luvs them, they are made to go over prescription glasses but have a flat profile so you don't look like you are wearing virtual goggles http://cocoonseyewear.com/ . They are nice looking and dark enough for any type of sun. I don't how they would fit inside a full face helmet.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Return to Riding Apparel