Helmet advice

Discussion on riding gear for women

Helmet advice

Postby lizmcg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:25 pm

My current helmet is at the end of the recommended life span (although it looks and feels brand new), so I'll have to bite the bullet and start helmet shopping soon. :shock: I'm thinking maybe the end of/after the riding season may be a good time to find some bargains, but maybe not. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what to look for, other than the obvious fit and quality. I'm not worried about paying what it costs; my head is worth it! It's just that there are so many brands out there with so many bells and whistles nowadays that I don't know where to start. :? I want a full-face style, and I ride solo, so I don't need any comm capability. Modular might be an option, but I read somewhere that it's not as safe and so doesn't get a Snell rating. True? I realize a lot of it is a matter of personal preference, but I'd like to know what the experienced folks look for in a helmet that I might not think of. Also favorite brands. I'll look through some of the reviews here, but a lot of them will probably be out of date. Thanks in advance for any comments or guidance.
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Re: Helmet advice

Postby deeg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:34 pm

I'm on my 4th helmet in 10 years. I don't normally go by their recommended 'life span'. IMHO, that's CYA thing. I only wore the Shoei FF for a couple months when I bought the Nolan modular. I haven't worn the Shoei since, but its been in its bag, on a shelf in a closet in the house for about 9 years. i would have NO problem putting it on and wearing it. The Nolan, I hated. Put it on the shelf when I bought the Caberg modular. The Nolans we had went to Thailand with us, and were left there (with the Joe Rocket gear that we never wear...) Some one with get some use out if them. The Caberg is worn out (and it will go to thailand with me next Christmas, and again, be left there). It was replaced with a Schuberth C3 modular.

I am beyond pleased with the Schuberth. I had to do a bit of modification to the liner as my glasses were squeezing my head too much, though. Now its comfy and its the quietest thing I've ever worn. It has a pinlock for the visor (but I don't often use it). The visor comes off easily for cleaning, as does the liner. You can buy 5 different colored visors for it, and you can even buy a smaller or larger sized liner. Helmet shells are only made in 2 (or is it 3) sizes, the difference is made up on liner construction. So, you can mix/match. I've done that with mine.And I love that I can take it out and wash it. Nothing worse than putting on a smelly, grimy helmet. The chin strap is ratcheting, not that miserable D-ring affair, so you only need one hand to tighten up or loosen.

Don't get fixated on the Snell rating. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. It just measures impact in a different way. I don't think the C3 has a Snell rating, but its by far a nicer and better built helmet than many that do. They do have a regular FF version, and I hear its quite nice as well. Schuberth makes helmets for firefighters, race car drivers, cops, military and even hard hats. They make a high quality product, and I will never own another brand.

And their customer service is awesome. We were at the BMW National rally a few years ago and visited their booth. Spouse happened to have his helmet with him. They took it, replaced the liner, the visor and a portion of the chin strap. for free. That would have been roughly $180 had we purchased those items. And when a vent button on my broke, they send me a pack of 5. for free as well. Can't beat that!

I didn't think I wanted comms, but I bought a pair of the Sena S20's for us. Pete doesn't use his very often (only when we ride together) but I really enjoy being about to BT music from my phone. I hate wires.....

I really want the newer model, but can't justify the $750 price tag right now, seeing as mine is in great condition.
deeg

Postby monica » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:14 pm

I'm on my third helmet. I spent the money for a full-face Shoei before my solo trip a couple of months ago. I love it a lot. I had modular ones before but this one is wonderful.
monica

Postby BoggyGirl » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:41 pm

I still have my first helmet but I haven't worn it in over a year. After I started riding again, I bought a Scorpion helmet that is DOT and Snell rated for a fraction of what a Shoei costs. It's my favorite helmet, it's really quiet and comfortable and has great airflow. I also bought a 3/4 helmet from Skullcandy and a CORE half helmet. They all fit great and stay secure. What I ended up doing was measuring my head with a tapestry measuring tape (the flimsy kind) then used fitting guides on each helmet manufacturer's websites to make sure I got the right size. I did my research on various brands and styles and ratings then when I figured out what I wanted, I went to Amazon, J&P, Revzilla, etc and found the best price.
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby filmmommy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:23 am

lizmcg -- is there a good place in our general vicinity that sells helmets (I consider DC-Cville my vicinity)? I need to get one, but hesitate to buy one online since there are too many and I want to try them on! I have been borrowing my friend's extra open-face when he takes me for rides and I hate it. I will be going to Philly in the spring and plan to stock up at Revzilla, but I need the helmet now.

Seeing all this advice is helping me -- although making me overthink!
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby lizmcg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:30 pm

First, thanks to everybody for the advice. Keep it coming!

Filmmommy, I'm afraid I'm no help. I got my current helmets at the local HD dealership in 2011 when I got my original Sportster, and both are HD helmets. Up in your neck of the Dominion, there should be loads of dealerships of all types. Down here, even the HD place I went to has now changed hands (after like 50 years) and is going downhill. I'm planning to start looking at my Can Am dealer and then try other motorcycle/motorsport places and hope for the best. I won't buy online because I want to try the helmet on, and I hate returning things bought online. I'm not looking forward to the process, but it's something to do in the nonriding season, I guess. :roll:
lizmcg

Postby filmmommy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:58 pm

I'll send you a PM to discuss further -- there is one place I have yet to try nearby.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby AzLadyBiker » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:35 pm

I just found this site so I know I am hopping in on some older posts. I find this forum and these discussions fascinating. My friends tease me that I am so analytical, so this is a great place! I have been riding 13 months and have ~11,000 miles under my belt. I first bought a HJC 3/4 helmet, but it was too tight with my glasses and too loose around my head. So then I bought a Bilt 3/4. I quickly learned that I didn't like the wind and after further research I decided full face was the safest choice for me. I then researched more and decided against modular's because I had "heard" they may not be as safe. I finally settled on a Shoei RF 1200. I love this helmet!! It's lightweight, vented, very comfortable. The face shield comes off much easier than the Bilt or HJC so I can switch between my clear shield and my mirrored sun shield quickly. It also has a place for my speakers from my Sehna 20s. And I like that I can remove the cheek pads and liners to wash them. There's my humble 2 cents. :-)
Karen in Scottsdale, Az
2016 Harley Heritage Softail Classic
Rider since 8/9/2015
AzLadyBiker

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:33 pm

Karen I wear a Shoei RF 1200 too!! Brigand graphics which caused my husband to say "I never realized you have such a dark side!" :lol: I went to Cycle Gear and tried on just about every helmet they had. This was actually a two part shopping experience. I'd been my husband's passenger wearing a 1/2 helmet for years and got VERY claustrophobic when I first put on the full face helmets ... even saying "get it off me NOW!" and having to leave the store! :lol: Now that I'm used to it, I love it!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby lizmcg » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:13 pm

BlueHD4me wrote:got VERY claustrophobic when I first put on the full face helmets ... even saying "get it off me NOW!" and having to leave the store! :lol: Now that I'm used to it, I love it!

I remember the first time I put mine on and wore it for a half hour in the store, as recommended. I didn't have as strong a reaction as you describe, but I definitely felt claustrophobic and had to fight the urge to take it off. It's not just that it surrounds your face, but that it's tight all around, for obvious reasons. It definitely takes some getting used to, but it took a surprisingly short time, and now I don't even notice it. I'm always surprised when I catch a glimpse of my reflection in a window or something and see how big it is. :o I forget I'm wearing it (until a bug hits the faceplate)! So anybody out there who's new to full face helmets and is scared of feeling "trapped," just give it a little time. :lol:
lizmcg

Next

Return to Riding Apparel