Prescription Sunglasses

Discussion on riding gear for women

Prescription Sunglasses

Postby Zaandar » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:53 pm

For those of you that wear Rx sunglasses. Which glasses do you use. I have found it difficult to find some that I can wear with a full face helmet that won't dig into the sides of my head. I have some Oakleys that will work for now and I am hesitant about metal frames that might bend with the pressure.
Sandra

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc)
Zaandar

Re: Prescription Sunglasses

Postby deeg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:22 pm

I buy the titanium frameless from Silhouette. They don't pinch, they are lightweight and bendable. I used to wear Oakleys, but the last pair I had 'ran away' one afternoon at a rest stop. :cry:

something like this:
http://www.silhouette.com/us/en/eyewear ... /7577/6050
deeg

Postby Gimmick » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:07 pm

I just finished a quest for Rx motorcycling sunglasses that lasted many, many frustrating months so thought I'd share what I learned here.

I was looking for curved, close-fitting glasses with Transition Xtractive lenses because they get quite dark in total sunlight and partially darken behind windshields and face shields (unlike other photochromatic lenses that darken in response to UV light alone, these also respond to visible light). I looked at a slew of online sites and Walmart and found that single vision lenses with antireflective coating and the Xtractive feature typically ran around $260. Just for the lenses! But RXframesnlenses is $184, RXsafety is $190 and Walmart just a few bucks more.

Problem for me is I really needed to try frames on and all the ones that looked good and small (eg some WIleyX frames like Airrage and Liberty frames like Rider) were way too big for my face and/or angled down into my cheeks. I ordered Liberty Escapade frames from Rxframesandlenses and although the measurements sounded reasonable, they were too wide. Then I discovered that their return policy is not so hot. You're basically stuck exchanging them rather than getting your money back.

But then I happily discovered that the Liberty Sport Chopper 2 frames that they carry are a smaller version of the Chopper frames designed especially for women. Happy day - they actually fit! Pretty well, anyway. Why it is SO difficult to discover this information is beyond me. I mean: the measurement from temple to temple... that would be really handy to know, right? Ha! Good luck with that!

So, I mailed those frames back again to have the lenses made and put in. Pretty steep price altogether ($110 for the frames on top of $184 for the lenses), but I'm very excited by the prospect of having these go-to glasses for outdoor stuff, driving, and motorcycling. They even have magnetically attached eye cups to block wind and debris along the side and a clip-on cord.

More info: http://www.libertysport.com/chopper-2.html#.V8jRBJgrLIU
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:09 am

Very sharp looking glasses. A little sexy.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Zaandar » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Oh! Those are cool! You have been very helpful, Gina! I too, need glasses that are on the narrow side. Also, my cheekbones tend to push up on my glasses when I smile so I have a hard time finding something that fits well. Thanks for your help!
Sandra

Zaandar

Postby Gimmick » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 pm

Glad it's helpful to you! Sounds like we have very similar issues. (I started to think I must have weirdly high ears or something - I have no idea how else those glasses fit most people.) One thing I forgot to mention was that our local Walmarts did have a few pairs of Wiley X and Liberty Sport frames to try on. The selection wasn't very extensive but neither was it exactly the same between our two local stores, so your mileage definitely may vary!
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby Zaandar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:17 pm

HAHAHA!!! I also have always wondered if other people had the same issues with the glasses.
Sandra

Zaandar

Postby Nekoagogo13 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:52 pm

I wear prescription glasses. I have a Bilt full face blue tooth helmet and I don't have a problem with the glasses. The helmet doesn't push on my ears at all. It also has a retractable sun visor if you don't have your sunglasses which is handy.
Nekoagogo13

Postby DeputySprinkles » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:10 am

I have prescription sunglasses with aviator frames I use for riding. I also have regular glasses that I use at night. My helmet, HJC C-17, has the cut out for glasses, & it fits perfectly with both sets of glasses.
DeputySprinkles

Return to Riding Apparel