What gear do you wear?

Discussion on riding gear for women

Re: What gear do you wear?

Postby jmdezines » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely be googling some of the gear mentioned.
I really really like my full face helmet and I like the visor down. I have a tinted one for daytime and a clear one for night, although I don't ride as much at night. If I couldn't bring my extra clear visor, I would flip up my tinted one and put on glasses (made for riding and tinted yellow for night riding).

On top of purchasing a jacket with armour (opposed to just the leather one I have now) I am thinking about boots too. I wear over the ankle boots with a nice rubber sole but it is thin and may wear out sooner than I'd like. I would like to find a pair of riding boots with a slightly thicker sole. (This may give me a tad more length too. There have been times where I just cant get enough footing under me to back up the bike and I have to hop off and walk it back.) Short-girl problems! LOL

So thanks ladies for listing all your brands and what you wear. This really helps! Now I'm off to $hop!!!
Jess
1979 Yamaha XS650
jmdezines

Postby BoggyGirl » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:19 pm

During the cooler riding weather, I'm more likely to wear a good jacket and full face helmet, especially on longer trips. But right now, in NW Florida, it's ridiculously hot and humid. There's always a risk you take not going the ATTGATT route but knowing how dangerously hot it can be sitting at red lights with only a short sleeve shirt, I wouldn't want to risk passing out or suffering a heat injury that could cause even worse. its a risk I take during the summer that I'm comfortable with accepting. If you can be comfortable in less and accept the risks with it, or if you're more comfortable in the ATTGATT style, as long as you're thinking about your self and your safety, then that's what matters.
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby tlc » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:55 pm

I wear (regular) jeans, boots (sometimes cowboy), jacket (leather w/o armor or vented with armor), full face helmet (would consider a half though) and gloves. If its super hot then I will ride without a jacket. I feel it's better for me to not pass out when riding from being too hot. I will also wet myself down and wear the vented jacket and that works super well for me. I always wear a helmet even in states that do not require them. I basically wear whatever I have to to survive the day.
tlc

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:27 am

If you're not opposed to "used" gear, Craigs List is a great option (and of course be cautious when meeting, let someone know, etc). You may not always find what you want, but if you make it a habit to look on a fairly regular basis and be open to buying gear "out of season" you can score some deals. I just bought a women's Frank Thomas (more of a UK brand) barely used mesh jacket for $50. It is almost new, has elbow & shoulder armor ... and the best part is it washable ... and yes, I washed it! :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Jo Ann » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:42 pm

I am new to riding my own motorcycle, when I was riding passenger with my husband I didn't give it as much thought.
On my own atgat is definitely my choice, I don't have much experience and am not going to press my luck too much.

I understand shprt gurl issue very well, I am 5' 1". I found Milwaukee boots to have a good height and be comfortable even for walking. I have not yet found pants I like or a Summer jacket with armor. Living in Florida, mesh is definitely a requirement. Luckily I just started ridi5and my jacket has some ventilation.
Jo Ann

Postby dbsteffy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:51 am

Yes, mesh is great riding material. I have a Harley mesh and a FLY brand Cool Women's. If you google mesh riding jackets, you'll find a bunch. It would be ideal if you have a well stocked dealership near you to try on for the best fit and protection, and being flattering counts, too. It should be long enough to cover your back and over the hips, you don't want the waistband showing and the arms will be longer than your street jacket, they are designed to fit properly in the riding position. Shopping is f.u.n.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Jo Ann » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:32 am

What gear did you ladies wear as a beginner?
Did you wear chaps or just jeans or riding jeans?

I have gloves a jacket with armor and always wear my helmer and proper boots. My left boot saved my foot and ankle for sure.

I dumped my bike yesterday going slow, did something I had been told time and again to not do. I looked back instead of where I was headed. I am sore but not really hurt. I did damage my aftermarket running lights and turn signals. Also I put a scrape on my front fender. I was more worried about my bike, than myself. My husband did not find that amusing. :roll:
Jo Ann

Postby monica » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:58 pm

After I took the class, I did ten miles in driveway/parking lot next door to me. I wore gloves, helmet, and boots, but just levis thick denim jeans. The one time I went over at 5mph, something scraped my shin, and it took months to heal mostly. The denim wasn't even torn, but it roughed me up underneath.
Still is very obvious. After that I got chaps, and then armored pants which I always wear one of. When I took a tumble in San Antonio at approximately 5mph, I had not a scratch.
monica

Postby deeg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:54 am

I had a set of Joe Rocket pans and mesh jacket. Gloves, FF helmet, and until I could find a pair of boots I liked, I wore my Ariat paddock boots. Spouse wore either his own Joe Rocket gear or chaps.

I ended up turning the chaps into a purse after his accident one evening. Our rural highways don't have street lights and one night, a coyote darted across the highway. he hit it and slid down the road about 50'. Destroyed the gear he was wearing. He rode the bike home. If he had been wearing chaps, he would have been in the hospital. All of the ballistic fabric on the butt of the pants was worn off and the carrhart pants he was wearing underneath sustained damage as well. That was enough to tell us that chaps would have been useless.

I know a lot of people wear them, but i don't see the point in only covering half of your legs.

Anyways. We ended up getting Aerostich suits. Took the Joe Rocket suits we started out with to Thailand last year and left them for someone else to use. We will do the same this year with the Fieldsheer stuff. Someone might get some use of them and they'll no longer be taking up space in my garage. :-)
deeg

Postby Jo Ann » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you so much.
I was lucky but saw how durable my Levi jeans are not. Without it being a bad wreck.
Wearing overpants here would be a real concern for heat related issues. I plan to ride open roads not in town as much as possible. But, our temps often reach high 90's not counting the heat index. I have been researching mesh jackets with armor that have better air flow than mine. I think I will look at riding jeans a little more closely.
Jo Ann

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Apparel