What gear do you wear?

Discussion on riding gear for women

What gear do you wear?

Postby jmdezines » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:37 am

Hi there!
This is my first year riding and I'm still trying to figure out what I want to wear and what I should wear when riding.
Here in Ohio you are only required to wear a helmet when you have a permit and for the year after your endorsement. I prefer my full face helmet, though.
I wear some thin Gorilla gloves I picked up at home depot now that its warm and I usually wear over the ankle boots.
If I know I will be on the highway, I wear my leather jacket but sometimes riding through the park and around town I don't wear a jacket but I feel like I need to be covered.

How do you all dress in warm weather?
Dress differently when highway riding?
Gloves with armour/protection?

I see everything on the street from women in reflective vests, helmets and riding boots to those in just a tiny tank top and some sunglasses. I know its a personal thing too but curious as to how you determine what you wear.

Thanks girls!
Jess
1979 Yamaha XS650
jmdezines

Re: What gear do you wear?

Postby monica » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:49 pm

I follow my riding coach advice; all the gear, all the time. Doesn't matter if I'm doing a quick errand or on the highway. Helmet, of course. Protective gloves. Motorcycle boots with great tread and ankle support. Chaps or armored pants. In the summer, a mesh jacket with armor at shoulders, elbows, and back. I had originally bought too much bike for me, topheavy, and went down in a parking lot practicing, at about 5 mph. The Levi denim jeans didn't tear, but a peg or floorboard must have dinged me. I thought I just had a scrape, but it was a deep trauma, and got infected, and still is a bit tender after ten months. Don't want that to happen again. When I went down leaving a parking lot on my recent trip, I remember having to pull my leg out from under something. But I had no bruises, no problems or scrapes at all.
monica

Postby BlueHD4me » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm a firm believer in "all the gear, all the time".

Although I prefer the look of my 1/2 helmet I now wear a full face helmet. I'm in the process of shopping for a mesh riding jacket (with armor) but until I buy one I wear my leather jacket with armor. Bella Sliders (kevlar jeans), over the ankle leather boots with grease/oil resistant soles. Leather motorcycle gloves.

While "all the gear" is hot in Southern California, sweat washes off easily. Road rash, skin grafts, etc if I should go down is not something I want to deal with.

A few sayings that stick with me are "you can't put it on when you are going down" and "it isn't if you go down, it is when". Then again, I'm old and a worry wart! :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby lizmcg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:21 pm

ATGATT (all the gear, all the time), no question, no thinking about it. If you get good gear made for the season, it's not uncomfortable; in fact, it can be MORE comfortable because it protects you from the direct sun and wind (not to mention bugs, stones, etc.). Someone here has a signature that says it all: dress for the slide, not the ride. It only takes one mishap, and it doesn't have to be a bad one, to damage/disfigure you for life, and it's not worth it. Riding a motorcycle is inherently dangerous (as is driving, to a lesser degree), and we all accept the risks. You can't eliminate them, but you can reduce them as much as possible. Part of that is skill and intelligent riding, and part is equipment, including what you choose to wear. I second what has already been said. A helmet, preferably full face, is a no-brainer (pardon the pun). Good, well-fitting, preferably armored gloves, too; if you go down at any speed, you'll hit your hands, and a flying bug or stone hitting your knuckles will convince you to get armor, too. Kevlar or otherwise-reinforced pants and leg armor, either part of the pants or separate (e.g., Bohn), is another must, as jeans will disintegrate in a slide long before you stop (how much skin and muscle do you want to leave on the road?). Upper body armor can also be part of the jacket or separate (Bohn again), but it's also a must for the same reasons. Just look at a few films of people flying off motorcycles, and you'll be convinced. I guess some people are lucky and manage to ride for a lifetime in very little or no protective gear and never have an accident, but as they say, do you feel lucky? I just joined Motor Maids, and just in the past several weeks, two of our ladies, both riders for decades with tens of thousands of miles under their wheels, had accidents. I don't know if they had ever had any serious ones before, but these produced some broken bones, serious road rash, and in at least one case, a new resolve to get better riding pants. In the end, it's up to you to decide what's most important to you, fashion, "coolness," or your body parts. I know what my choice is. By the way, I also have battery-powered LED lights on my helmet for maximum visibility; they seem to help, as I notice cars now follow me at a greater distance than before (maybe they scare people :twisted: ).
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:26 am

http://themotolady.com/crashing-my-motorcycle/

I hope the above link works, if not cut/paste. This is what convinced me to go to a full face helmet. Great photos of her bike, gear and body after a crash. She wears ATGATT and still ended up with some road rash but she doesn't fault the gear, but the fact that she had lost weight and her riding jeans were too baggy.

Instead of scaring me, the actually made me more comfortable after seeing how the gear held up ... strange??? :?
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby jmdezines » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks ladies!

I actually follow the motolady blog. Very cool! I do a lot of searching for gear reviews and I like the reviews she posted.

My leather jacket isn't a riding jacket but its better than nothing. I have my eye on a jacket meant for riding and comes with removable pads. I am going to purchase kevlar reinforced riding pants too.
I also have my eye on a pair of gloves.
It's an investment but you can't put a price on your safety and health.

I was coming home from my first bike night last night and sat on the highway for a good 30 min at a standstill. When traffic started moving, it was a motorcycle accident that caused the delay. I think a few bikes actually involved and a hand-full more on the side of the road stopped to help or maybe were travelling with the group. I hope no one was seriously injured but it's something you never want to happen to anyone.
Jess
1979 Yamaha XS650
jmdezines

Postby deeg » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:36 am

On the highway, on the street, in the city, quick run to get lunch, quick ride to the post office, long trips, short trips, commute to work, on the dirt bikes, in the forest. Only change is I only wear this particular helmet when I'm on a dirt bike. 99% of the time, I'm in a Schubert C3W. I like my flesh, I like my brain. Wear what you feel comfortable in, but don't whine and complain when you get hit or crash or what ever and you end up with injuries that could have been avoided if you wore the proper gear.

Gear is: Aerostich Roadcrafter, Aerostich Combat Lite boots, Schuberth helmet, Lee Parks gloves (I have four pairs, depends on the weather) or Revit gloves, if its raining.
deeg

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:10 am

deeg wrote:Wear what you feel comfortable in, but don't whine and complain when you get hit or crash or what ever and you end up with injuries that could have been avoided if you wore the proper gear.

Amen to that!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Zaandar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 pm

I wear a full face helmet, mesh gloves, mesh jacket (Rev'it Tornado 2) with back protector, boots made for motorcycle riding (Dainese Bahia D-WP or Dainese Parana D-WP) since these have reinforced soles and ankle, heel, and toe protection. I live in Florida and it is very hot with all the gear on for most of the year so I decided to forgo the pants. I don't think I have seen anyone wear motorcycle pants around here.
Sandra

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc)
Zaandar

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:20 am

My weather is your weather and I have not been riding much on the 90+ days, too hot, Hubby and I will sometimes go in the evenings when it cools down. I wear a half helmet, white for better visibility, mesh gloves, perforated leather gloves, neither are armored. Harley boots, over the ankle but not calf high, legs are too fat for those. I have armored leather mesh that is too big so now I wear a Harley mesh with armor pockets but I don't have the armor in it, regular jeans, haven't found armored or kevlar that fits, still searching for those.
I did take a ride a couple weeks ago and wore just a T-shirt, no jacket or helmet, we didn't go far, just a few miles to meet friends for a drink (diet coke) but I felt so uncomfortable, too exposed, vaguely nervous, I didn't like it, made the decision not to ride that naked, again.
I have cooler weather gloves and leather jacket, not armored both Harley and a heavy textile jacket, First Mfg Gear with reflective stars that is lined and has armor.
I know I'm not ATGATT, I'm Mostly GATT and am aware of the risks of my choices. I'm responsible for and to me and do my best to keep myself safe.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Next

Return to Riding Apparel