GoGo Gear's Kevlar leggings

Discussion on riding gear for women

GoGo Gear's Kevlar leggings

Postby stephps » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:55 am

I've finally ridden a few times in my new kevlar leggings, enough to post my thoughts! I bought them because I was looking for slide/abrasion protection as well as knee armor. Because I'm short AND borderline plus size, it was hard to find anything in men's or women's pants that fit right and didn't look ridiculous.

Here's where I ordered them from: http://www.gogogearla.com/protective-le ... ar-fibers/

For those of you afraid of the word "leggings", don't worry. These are thick and fit more like stretchy jeans, but without the denim. They're actually very soft and comfortable even though they're a bit heavy. They have front pockets and belt loops as well, but no zipper or snaps. I really love how they look, too. For protection, in addition to being made out of kevlar, they come with knee armor that velcros in. They have inside pockets for hip armor as well, if you choose to buy those elsewhere.

I'm a US size 16, and although the website says don't just go with your typical pants size and measure instead, I did end up with my typical pants size. They are a tiny bit loose but I'm keeping them so I can put another layer (real leggings) under them in cooler weather. I took some photos of me in them but will have to upload later.

I went for a few rides so far and here's what I noticed:
- they are very comfortable while riding and walking around (unless your dad tells you you're going for a short walk in the woods to see a fire tower and his definition of short is different than yours, and surprise! you're hiking up a large hill. If I'd known, I would have taken the knee armor out first)
- they did not make me sweat in obnoxious places like jeans sometimes do in hot weather. And when my seat was hot, it was easier to just get back on the bike and not feel burning through my pants for a minute. But it wasn't the hottest day ever, so that might change.
- the bottoms do not tuck into my boots, but I can pull them down over the tops, so that was nice. I wear Timberland work-type boots when I ride, but they also would have fit down over my Doc Martens as well, the other boot I wear. They are very thick, so don't assume they fit tight at the ankle like real leggings do.

One issue I had was that the knee armor pushes into my knees a bit too much when I'm sitting down to eat or walking around. It's like it's made for riding or standing position, but anything in-between for a long period of time can be annoying. I kept stretching my legs out while eating dinner and lunch on a 300+ mile ride, to relieve the armor pressing on my knee. There are a few solutions to this, which are to take the armor out when not riding (which I was too lazy to do and didn't feel like going to the bathroom multiple times that day to keep sticking my arms down my pants, haha), sit with your legs not bent all the way (45 degree angle is better than 90 degree angle), and also to just break the armor in so it gets more comfortable over time. This might be the kind of thing people who've worn other pants with knee armor are used to, but I'm still new to this.

So in short I really like them and I'll stay open to other options but I think I'll be wearing these for every ride for a long time. Photos to come!
stephps

Re: GoGo Gear's Kevlar leggings

Postby stephps » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:12 am

Not great photos, but you'll get the point.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stephps

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks Steph, exactly what I wanted to know.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby BlueHD4me » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Steph I am so JEALOUS! I bought them too but they do not fit my body shape. :cry: They look great on you!!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby motodancer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Ah! I've been really wanting these but I've also read a lot of posts from people who were very skeptic about it due to how these pants were tested.
motodancer

Postby stephps » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:19 pm

How were they tested? I would love more info.
stephps

Postby motodancer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:52 pm

This is copied & pasted from my other forum's discussion on these leggings. They are from several different posts so it might not flow well. But info is all there
--

Testing is performed overseas, key words that make me think are"garment is similar to the one DuPont had tested". So, they didn't test what they are using? "lab in UK"... Why not a lab here in the US?
"The Martindale method", also known as the Martindale rub test, simulates natural wear of a seat cover, where the textile sample is rubbed against a standard abrasive surface with a specified force.
You are not wearing a seat cover, you are wearing a layer to protect your skin - should be tested for heat (melt) and abrasion with material like sand paper not textile.

"The Dupont Corporation has run EN tests on a basic garment that was made of 375gms Denim and 360gms Kevlar terry fabrics. That garment passed the EN testing. Our leggings are made of a different type of outer layer of fabric that is 430gms and 270gms for the inner layer of Kevlar. So, by weight, our garment is similar to the one that Dupont tested.

We had a lab in the UK (SATRA) conduct what is known as the “Martindale” test, the most commonly used method for testing for abrasion resistance in fabric where they apply a sanding disc to the fabric and run it in circles on the fabric over thousands of cycles."

And you can't add these 2 numbers together for a rating. Martindale test only goes to 40,000 not 100,000. The Martindale test is for upholstery NOT clothing or PPE.

"The leggings fabrics tested as follows: the outer layer of fabric abraded after 100,000 cycles. The inner layer of fabric that is woven with the Kevlar fibers, abraded after 40,000 cycles so between the two fabrics, it abraded after 140,000 cycles"

Martindale
This is an oscillating test. Fabric samples are mounted flat and rubbed in a figure eight like motion using a piece of worsted wool cloth as the abradant. The number of cycles that the fabric can endure before fabric shows objectionable change in appearance (yarn breaks, piling, holes) is counted. Number of cycles determines abrasion rating.

All gear should be verified, you should always research the testing that is done. Go go is using a method that is for upholstery NOT personal protective equipment.
Read the information in the post, I point out several problems with what/how they are claiming the gear is tested. It is not tested correctly.
Some small companies actually do spend the money for proper testing. Anyone can say they test or they are small business or woman owned.... Are they certified? are they truly looking after your safety?
Life and skin if worth spending the $$ to save it. A month in a hospital would change anyone's mind

GoGoGear's heart is in the right place but that they can do much much better in proving their gear to be safe and worth it.
motodancer

Postby stephps » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:59 am

This is such good information to have, THANK YOU!
stephps

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:53 am

Steph I LOVE your new photo!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby stephps » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:41 pm

BlueHD4me wrote:Steph I LOVE your new photo!

Thank you! It's from last summer, one of my first longer rides :)
stephps

Next

Return to Riding Apparel