Washing textile gear

Discussion on riding gear for women

Washing textile gear

Postby stephps » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:07 pm

My textile Speed & Strength jacket needs cleaning ASAP. The white parts of it have started to look dirty especially around the neck/collar which I touch often with my black gloves, plus now there's pollen on it from my last few rides. I've been searching for instructions and it seems I can take the armor out and put it in the washing machine. I read only a front-loading washer is OK, although I don't know why. Mine is not front-loading, so I may do it by hand in a tub just to be safe, but I'd like to get an easy process down so I can do this regularly. Just wondering how you all clean yours, if you have tips, and if there's a good product to use that's better than regular laundry detergent?
stephps

Re: Washing textile gear

Postby monica » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:58 pm

I have a white mesh Firstgear jacket. I take out the armor and handwash it in my largest sink.Then I spin it in the washer *a little bit*, then hang to dry. It's always dry by morning. I've done it 3 times now.The label specifies handwash cold. My riding pants, however, can be washed in a washer, cold, delicate. They are black and I usually just sort of wipe off the bugs with a paper guest towel (stronger than 'paper towels'. I've done that twice.
monica

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 am

Stephps, I washed my white & grey Fly mesh jacket and the Harley mesh in the washer, with the armor removed. I put in several clean pillowcases to help make some cleaning friction. Don't use towels or any fabric that has a nap or loop texture because it will cause pilling on the jacket and would be a nightmare to remove. I always hang to dry. The Fly had a white collar that was always dirty, I would give it and the lower sleeves a quick handwash in the sink between machine cleanings. Regular bleach free detergent, no fabric softener.
If the instructions you found call for a front loader, take a handful of quarters to the local Laundromat for washing and bring home to hang dry.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby lizmcg » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:52 am

I imagine it calls for a front loader because they are gentler, as well as taking larger items much more easily. Since they don't have the post and agitators in the middle, they just tumble the clothes like a dryer does, with a small amount of water, and spin to wring them out. Just getting the jacket into a top loader might be a challenge in some machines. Many front loaders have a "hand wash" cycle that works great for more delicate items. My Speed and Strength mesh jacket says hand wash and hang to dry. I haven't had to wash it yet, but when I do, I'll put it in my front loader on hand wash and hang dry it.
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby deeg » Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:45 am

My Roadcrafter gets washed at least once a year, usually when the snow starts falling. Take out the armor, toss it in the wash with some Granger Performance Wash or NikWax TechWash. I don't ever use normal laundry soap as it washes away the waterproofing on the gear. After its washed, it gets a quick spray from either Granger Repel or NikWax SoftShell Proof. I usually hang dry, but sometimes I toss it in the dryer.

I may toss it in for a quick wet down and additional Repel or SoftShell re-waterproofing if we spent hours and hours riding in the rain
deeg

Postby stephps » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:33 am

This is all helpful! I was thinking of trying the NikWax Tech Wash. I have a habit of cutting tags out of everything, so I assume instructions said to hand wash, but who knows. Thanks for the tips!
stephps

Return to Riding Apparel