Rain Gear Question

Discussion on riding gear for women

Rain Gear Question

Postby ADVStrom14 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:54 pm

Today I went for a ride (was going to try to go on the trip that I wanted to go on this weekend, rain be damned). I put on my new Joe Rocket rain gear (which I purchased over Frog Togs because of the comparative ratings on a couple websites) over my regular gear, hopped on the bike and took off. I rode for about 45 minutes in a light/moderate rain and when I got home I started to peel off all my gear only to find that my rain pants were wet on the inside - like condensation not that it had actually "leaked." But there was a noticeable layer of water on the inside and my regular riding pants were damp to the touch - not soaking wet. When I took off my jacket, it was nice and dry but there is a lining in the rain jacket and I'm assuming that kept the water from condensing there.

The question is, is that normal or is there something else going on? I actually thought for a minute because it was so muggy, I had actually sweated and the condensation was caused from the internal moisture, not the external moisture. Which still could be possible because I was rushing so I got my heart rate up and I started sweating before I got on the bike. This is the first time that I have ridden in the rain so it's the first time in rain gear.

Gear aside, I have certainly got to get some more miles under my tires before I feel comfortable in the rain. Once I decided to can the trip, I took the long way home trying to get a feel for different things. I learned a lot but I needed a shot of tequilla when I got home to calm those nerves down! :lol:
Jes
2014 Suzuki V-Strom DL-1000

"Dress for the slide, not the ride!"

~Phil 4:13~
ADVStrom14

Re: Rain Gear Question

Postby dshinaut » Mon May 02, 2016 12:26 pm

I have an unlined rain jacket that I wear when I walk in the morning. When I come home the inside is soaking wet. Your body releases more moisture than you think.
D Shinaut
Softail Slim Rider
Lincoln, NE
dshinaut

Postby ADVStrom14 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:56 pm

dshinaut wrote:I have an unlined rain jacket that I wear when I walk in the morning. When I come home the inside is soaking wet. Your body releases more moisture than you think.

I guess damp is better than being soaking wet in the rain! :) Thanks for the response!
Jes

ADVStrom14

Postby deeg » Tue May 03, 2016 8:04 pm

There was a reason that back in the day, people wore rubber/PVC suits to exercise in. That stuff doesn't breath. And any moisture your body gives off, which would normally evaporate, doesn't. And it leaves you a bit damp in all the wrong places. I used to wear a bright yellow one piece Triumph rain suit. It kept the rain off me, and it was a heck of a wind blocker on those 35F degree days, but after a couple hours, I felt like I was in a sauna. gross.

Another reason I gave up and bought quality gear. . :-)
deeg

Postby ADVStrom14 » Tue May 03, 2016 8:10 pm

deeg wrote:Another reason I gave up and bought quality gear. . :-)

Nailed it! I recently bought the riding pants that matched the jacket that I have had for a year. Guess what! They are both waterproof! Duh! So I don't even need the rain gear. Problem solved. 8-)
Jes

ADVStrom14

Return to Riding Apparel