Gaaahhh! Blatant sexism in bike adverts will not end!

Discussion on riding gear for women

Re: Gaaahhh! Blatant sexism in bike adverts will not end!

Postby Ana_Bianca1200 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:42 am

BlueHD4me wrote: Bianca - I've seen your photo on Facebook and you couldn't look frumpy if you tried! :o

Aww thanks :) Friend request me! One of my husbands co-workers just got his and his wife's bike running again and we plan on doing plenty of Julian/Mt Laguna/Cuyamaca loops this spring. I can include you on the posts, you should come with us once you feel ready!
Bianca

2003 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom
2006 Yamaha YFZ450
Ana_Bianca1200

Postby dshinaut » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 pm

I hate those ads! I once sent a blistering email to ICON because they had a 6 page spread in a magazine. In every photo the man looked like he was going off to war in full gear, helmet on. The women had most of their bosoms exposed, high heeled boots and no helmet or gloves in sight. I would hate to see what they would look like if they went riding that way and had an accident. Most of their wonderful bosoms would be scraped off on the road surface. I know they say sex sells but I can't imagine my husband making a purchase choice because of a scantily clad woman in an ad. I think he puts more value on quality and price. I think they would sell more if they showed women's gear being properly worn. It would certainly catch my eye.
Donna
D Shinaut
Softail Slim Rider
Lincoln, NE
dshinaut

Postby Gimmick » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:35 pm

This has been a pretty awesome discussion for getting to know people - what an interesting mix we are! :D I'm also in a grubby hands-on field: wildlife biology. I have seen it evolve from male-dominated, game-species-focused, and often sexist to what sometimes looks to be a female majority now (working on whole ecosystems and landscapes rather than edible critters). And the dress code... well, we kid each other about whether we'd wear a Carhartt wedding dress if they made one, lol. My boyfriend has forced me to finally learn how to dress up and look feminine, by taking me to the symphony and opera and such.

Like Donna, I also wrote a blistering email to protest stupid sexist ads (to Kymco). No response. But maybe it helps if we keep at it...?

Wait - I have proof!! I went to look at ICON's site.... This is all Donna's good work, I tell you! 8-) Now tell me that using images like this wouldn't sell motorcycle stuff to men just as effectively AND help open their markets to women, right?
IconAstro.jpg

IconAstro2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby dshinaut » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:04 pm

Well look at that. And I thought one person couldn't really change the world :0)
D Shinaut
Softail Slim Rider
Lincoln, NE
dshinaut

Postby BoggyGirl » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:51 pm

I'll definitely let y'all know how the garage party goes tomorrow. I'm excited. Unfortunately it'll be storming and I'm taking a pregnant friend so no riding in lol. But, I RSVP'd today and I'm gonna step out of my zone a bit. I hope I win some kitchen towels! :lol: I'll use the crap out of those things. It looks like it'll be a good turnout, there's ~25 ladies saying they're going on Facebook and they usually had about that many show up to previous ones. More to follow!
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby tlc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:13 pm

I'll chime in with m2c. Those ads don't bother me at all. As a matter of fact, I pay almost zero attention to them. I don't know it it's because I accepted it long ago as part of "the scene" or that I know men are men and we know they make decisions with "other" parts of their bodies and not brains ( <<<<< just poking fun here) or maybe it's my age or the fact that I grew up around it and it doesn't matter really (to me). I do like some of those skimpy outfits but hate that I can no longer fit in them.
Also, if I won those HD towels I would use the heck out of them polishing my bike :lol: . So watch out ladies :lol:
tlc

Postby dbsteffy » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:36 pm

I checked the Harley site to see what the towels and bowl looked like but they're not offered for sale, must be pretty exclusive. If you win them, take a picture.

Brenda.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:16 am

Brenda I found photos of both items and wanted to post them but I get a message that says Board attachment limit reached or something like that. I can't even add the pics in a new thread. Guess we blew this up!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Gimmick » Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:39 pm

We broke the forum? Oops!! :shock:
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby dbsteffy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:53 pm

Leslie, I did some more googling and found some bar towels. Ok, but I don't have a bar, just a liquor cupboard.
And I hear you broke the forum.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

PreviousNext

Return to Riding Apparel