Gaaahhh! Blatant sexism in bike adverts will not end!

Discussion on riding gear for women

Gaaahhh! Blatant sexism in bike adverts will not end!

Postby Gimmick » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:05 am

The little ad at the top of pages here for the Kymco K-Pipe 125 got me curious about the cute little bike. Googled it and came up with an absolutely perfect example of sexism in motorcycle advertising. Check this out - a bike aimed at insecure beginners who want something small and cute (hmmm, would that include a lot of women?) with the female models in high heels and minimal clothing seductively draped over the bikes or riding in shorts, a tank top and sockless tennis shoes. The one man on the bike is... huh, go figure... fully clothed!! He even has GLOVES (although he doesn't seem to understand helmet chin straps). Seriously? In 2016? :evil:

http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/mot ... 43789.html

This stuff makes my blood boil. No wonder women don't wear full gear and aren't taken seriously as actual motorcyclists. Thank goodness for folks like Joanne Donn of Gearchic.com for calling them on this B.S.
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Re: Gaaahhh! Blatant sexism in bike adverts will not end!

Postby Ametha Elf » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 pm

I feel the same way about this and Id guess most women riders would as well. That's the usual advertising method- either its sex sells or its sensationalism in the news. (dont get me started on that one!) Just think that the vast majority of those size 2 scantily clad waifs would more than likely never actually ride, and so they are actually losing out big time! ;)
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby dbsteffy » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:13 pm

I checked it out, it's laughable and disappointing. Makes me wonder how the company's marketing department sees the women in their families, barely clad granddaughters and pouty, bust thrusting mothers? But honestly, I can't say that I have no respect for the company and would boycott the product, I'd be a hypocrite, I buy and like my Harley bike and gear. I do notice that Harley has tamed their website and catalogues and show women as riders, covered, wearing helmets. It appears they are getting the idea. Now, I need to see a 1W modeling a cool armored jacket.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby DianneB » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:43 pm

dbsteffy wrote:I do notice that Harley has tamed their website and catalogues and show women as riders, covered, wearing helmets. It appears they are getting the idea.

There are enough women buying Harleys now that HD has become more sensitive about offending women in their advertising but if you visit a dealership looking for apparel, they are still predominantly small sizes with lots of exposed skin designed to appeal to men. I am a big girl (5' 9", 200 Lb) and can't find anything to fit me unless I go to the men's section. I wear a size 10 shoe and can't find ANYTHING on the shelf in women's boots.

I am 66. We had made a lot of progress back in the 1970s toward being seen as (almost) equal human beings but we have lost a LOT of ground since then. When I look at the young girls and women and their attitudes today I see little hope for the future. (I am beginning to sound like my grandmother LOL!)
DianneB

Postby Gimmick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:17 am

Before I started motorcycling, I ordered some jeans through the local Harley dealership (having found 100% cotton jeans almost as hard to find as decent women's shoes in size 10 - I hear you there! :? ) and was SO intimidated. Me, pulling into a parking lot full of pickups and motorcycles: 'I wonder if I can blend?' Daughter: 'Mom, you're driving a Prius.' Lol. Yeah, I was way off-base, though. They're really awesome there and since starting to go in for bike-related things I've seen none of the sexism I thought I'd encounter. Heck, when I was looking at the used bikes recently, the salesman was like, 'Which one you want to take out first?', no questions asked. :D

Shame HD's clothing line hasn't caught up yet. But at least they do seem to have come a long way quickly in reaching out to women motorcyclists. They still have a ways to go, but companies like Kymco have even further. Brenda: the 'pouty, bust-thrusting mothers' image still has me chuckling. Sardonically. You do have to wonder what the @#*$ is going on in their heads.

Dianne, it is sad to see that progress is not necessarily linear and in some ways we're backsliding now in the degree to which girls and women are valued in how appealing we are to men. All that emphasis on our looks makes me feel like we're seen as essentially interchangeable, if it's all just about our packaging. :cry:

Ah, but it's not all doom n gloom. In a lot of ways it's much easier to do whatever you want to now, even if it's something that hasn't been considered 'feminine'.
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:16 pm

We have a bunch of Harley dealerships in my area, 5 within a 30 mile radius that I have visited, all of them have made me feel welcome, several have women manning the parts counter. Ohio must have a lot of fat women because the stores have a pretty good selection of plus size clothes, up to 3W, from the sparkley tanks to leather or mesh functional riding jackets. Not so good in the pants though and I have to go to the mens section to get gloves. I have a size 10 foot and unexpectedly had to buy a new pair last Saturday, when I brought the bike home. I noticed the heel was badly cracked and separating from the sole on my shift side. The saleslady asked if I was a rider or passenger and recommended the best ones for riding. I walked out a short while later, wallet lighter, free can of waterproofing, on comfortable, well fitting boots. They're stiff, I've worn the to work this week to break them in.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:39 pm

Please don't start hammering on me and let me preface this by saying I am not condoning this type of advertising. But let's face it, we (women) are NOT the target market. If you have advertising dollars to spend, it makes good business sense to aim your ads at who will more than likely buy your product ... probably the 18-25 year old males, if I had to guess? After all, if what I've read is correct, less than 15% of motorcyclists are women.

Brenda - yeah!! New boots!! :D
Dianne - Dang sister!! Wrenching at 66 years young? :o Go YOU!
Gina - driving your Prius into a HD Dealership ... now that made me laugh! :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Gimmick » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:53 pm

That's true - it does makes sense to target advertising more toward men. But couldn't you portray women more like this and still appeal to them? 8-)

motowoman.jpg

or
notflickrbiker1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gina
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
Gimmick

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:05 pm

Gina don't show those pics to my hubbie ... he'll leave me! lol!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:05 am

Gina, I'm way too old to look that fierce and sexy in my gear but those photos are not offensive to me and would probably appeal to most men, I would not object to seeing those in print or on TV. Sadly, though, cleavage, double C's, 5" heels and thongs will dominate the advertising market for a long time. Even most of HD's T-shirts have this theme.

Leslie - Hubby will likely just take you leather jeans shopping.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Next

Return to Riding Apparel