SPRING BLAHS

A place to reach out to others

SPRING BLAHS

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:33 am

February was much warmer here in NE Ohio, that it was in March. Hubby was out a few times in the 70' temps we enjoyed in February. His bike is stored in our garage. He installs the charged up the battery, takes off the cover and he's on the road. Mine winters in my mom-in-law's garage, about 15 miles away, it's not that far, a 20 minute trip.
March had a few warmish days, a bunch of snow, some rain and lots of cold, damp days.
We were talking last night about when I'm bringing it home, well, it's not going to be this week. It'll be rainy, which is good, it washes away all the salt that's on the roads, it'll be cold, high 30's to low 50's, maybe a 60', heading in the right direction. So, my ride might come back in mid April, not committing yet but once it's here, I'm riding the wheels off that bugger.

I was much happier last year when I had the bike home by March 12th. See, I'm smiling in the photo ...
2016-3-12 025_smm.jpg

How are our other northern Ladies doing? When will you be on the road?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Re: SPRING BLAHS

Postby Kitkat74 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:04 am

One of the reasons I'm glad I live in the south. Longer riding season....having grown up in NY, I can definitely relate to the long winters though. I hope you get your baby home soon and can hit the road.
2004 Sportster 1200R
Kitkat74

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:29 pm

Yes, you do look like "life is great right now" in that pic Brenda.

I ride all year. During winter it's mostly short jonts, just enough to say I rode that month :lol: . They don't salt the roads out where I live ~ yet ~ but when they start I will be putting my bike away or heading south with the birds. It would be hard not to ride some all winter long. I feel for ya.
tlc

Postby monica » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 am

There is minimal need for salted roads here, though it does happen a couple of times a year; otherwise I ride all year. Recently, I had to come back to Alabama from Texas for a funeral, and so had to make time, not take so many warming breaks, etc. One morning it was 24 degrees when i awoke, 27 degrees when I left. A couple of days later, after the funeral, I waited till ten minutes before 11am (checkout time) and it was 32 degrees and rising. I have recently had a hiatus of not riding, for 2 weeks, and this weekend felt the lack of smoothness. Although I did approximately 830 miles Friday through Monday: only part days for three of them, but 568 miles Saturday. Boy that felt great to be out again, with all the new spring stuff. Hope you get it back soon and ride ride ride!!!
monica

Postby deeg » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

I fee your pain. Mine winter in the shop, and while the roads are good to go for a goodly portion of the winter, once the snow starts falling, its on the ground on the property until mid spring. I did manage to get one ride in last week, then I wimped out and drove to work the rest of the week. haha
deeg

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:29 am

Same here. I was out from Thanksgiving til 3 weeks ago with knee surgery, and there was a few gorgeous days in January & February here on Long Island that I could've definitely went out. Of course I'm all healed up & it's been pouring rain or bitter cold almost all of the 3 weeks.
DeputySprinkles

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:02 pm

It's coming home, tomorrow. Battery is charged, saddle is buffed, gloves inside the helmet and once the temps get to about 60, we'll be home bound.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby tlc » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:40 am

dbsteffy wrote:It's coming home, tomorrow. Battery is charged, saddle is buffed, gloves inside the helmet and once the temps get to about 60, we'll be home bound.

How did it go? Is your ride all settled into home now?
tlc

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:17 am

In the garage, has not been out since, the ride home was uneventful. I just brought the saddlebags downstairs and will put those on today. I helped Hubby install the new luggage rack last weekend, a 30 minute project that lasted a few hours but we managed it with no yelling or me marching out of the garage. We've had all those April showers, streets are salt free. Planning a ride somewhere, tomorrow, it's too damp and chilly, today. On Tuesday, new, longer cables will be put on the bars, supposedly to make the throttle easier but since I have no frame of reference, I think it's fine, Hubby tells me it can be smoother and require less effort to roll on and off with longer cables. Truthfully, he said it sucks.
I'm looking at what's available in replacement windshields, mine is original (1997) and too tall , will get a new front tire, that's all the 'needs' for this year. My 'wants' are a new set of these Kinetic grips http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4316/kinetic8482-grips , Hubby has ISO's but they're too big for for my hands, but I can't find anyone local who has them in stock.
Any pictures of your kitchen redo?
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby tlc » Mon May 01, 2017 4:47 pm

dbsteffy wrote:On Tuesday, new, longer cables will be put on the bars, supposedly to make the throttle easier but since I have no frame of reference, I think it's fine, Hubby tells me it can be smoother and require less effort to roll on and off with longer cables.

Have you tried riding since you have new cables?

My hubbys bike has always been hard to roll on the throttle. When we changed out my clutch we decided to work on his. He pulled the cable off the bike, cleaned it up and lubed the shaft/sheath with silicone, then slapped that baby back one and woo-wee is it ever a different bike. We replaced his clutch cable completely while adding adjustable levers. His clutch was worse than the throttle and to the point where he could almost not have it engage. We've had the bike in several times to the dealer for tires and warranty stuff and always asked them to check it out the levers since they were so hard to pull. They told him that it's "just the way they are" and left it at that. So he figured it must be the nature of the big bike. Now we know it was complete BS. He had been riding the bike that way for almost 40,000 miles and was starting to dread riding it. Now has a bike that he likes to ride and can not believe he lived with it that long.

I checked out those grips and they do look nice. Will you get the Throttle Boss to go along with the grips?

I do have pics of the kitchen redo. I'm kind of embarrassed to post the "before" pics since my kitchen was so bad. I'm so glad we did it. I'll dig through here this week and find a couple to post.
tlc

Next

Return to Connect With Others