Are your insurance rates higher than your husbands (SO)?

A place to reach out to others

Are your insurance rates higher than your husbands (SO)?

Postby MCGrrrl » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:39 pm

Hello!

First time posting! My husband and I have been reviewing our insurance and noticed my bike costs almost twice to insure. I have a softail, he has a street glide. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed a difference in their insurance rate compared to their husbands / significant other?
MCGrrrl

Re: Are your insurance rates higher than your husbands (SO)?

Postby Kitkat74 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:12 pm

No difference here. I have a Sportster, hubby has a Heritage and our rates are the same.
2004 Sportster 1200R
Kitkat74

Postby BlueHD4me » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 am

We insure 3 bikes and the rates are different on all three. The most expensive bike (2014 BMW S1000RR) has the highest premium, my bike (2013 HD Sportster) is in the middle. The lowest premium is a 1999 HD Fat Boy which would be the most difficult of the three to replace as my husband spent almost what the bike cost in custom paint, etc. Makes no sense.
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby tlc » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:30 am

I'm a little late here. For our bike insurance, the hubby's is a bit more than mine with his being a HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic and mine being a Superlow Sportster. We've found that the fancier the bike (more do-dads) the more insurance is, up to a certain point year wise.
tlc

Postby DeputySprinkles » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:06 am

Also I'm guessing it depends on how long you have had your license?
DeputySprinkles

Postby tlc » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:13 pm

DeputySprinkles wrote:Also I'm guessing it depends on how long you have had your license?

Yeah, I bet and that age thing too ;)

I do know that here at least, once you pass your riders course you are provided a "card" that says you passed. That card is supposed to give you a discount on motorcycle insurance, which it did for me but only for so long. We just switched insurance companies and asked if the card was valid and they said "no".

Also know, you can shop around for better rates. We do this every year (or when it's time for renewal) with most of our insurance policies. We've saved hundreds on insurance for our vehicles and a couple of hundred for our bikes~ just throwing that out there...
tlc

Postby deeg » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:00 pm

Motorcycle insurance is optional here in Washington. I keep my four bikes insured year round, only because its convenient and I get a heck of a discount because they are on my auto policy. Spouse rotates insured bikes depending on if we leave the state.

Between us we have 30 bikes. I would go broke if we had to insure them all year round.
deeg

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:26 am

deeg wrote:Between us we have 30 bikes
:o :o :o OMG!!!!

Photos of the herd, please! :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:27 am

tlc wrote:
DeputySprinkles wrote:Also I'm guessing it depends on how long you have had your license?

Yeah, I bet and that age thing too ;)

I do know that here at least, once you pass your riders course you are provided a "card" that says you passed. That card is supposed to give you a discount on motorcycle insurance, which it did for me but only for so long. We just switched insurance companies and asked if the card was valid and they said "no".

If you take the BRC here it is the same as defensive driving for a car. You are supposed to do it every 3 years to get the discount. If you switch and it is within the 3 years it would count, but as soon as the 3 years is up it is supposed to come off.
DeputySprinkles

Postby MCGrrrl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:37 pm

Update -- We called the insurance company and asked why the price difference.

Number of years with cycle endorsement? No.
Age of rider? No. We are the same age.
Gender? No.
Riding course? No. (I have certificate, hubby does not).

According the insurance rep, it is because the Softail is a "cruiser" while the Street Glide is a "touring". And the funniest part is that the rep also said it was because the parts were more expensive to replace on the Softail than the Street Glide -- which is totally ridiculous.

Needless to say, we are shopping for new insurance.

Thanks for the input ladies!
MCGrrrl

Return to Connect With Others