Tiny little meaningless milestone

A place to reach out to others

Tiny little meaningless milestone

Postby lizmcg » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:38 pm

Well, my first season with my Spyder, Bellatrix, is almost over (although down here in VA it could go another 6 weeks), and I've managed to do a few things: twisty, tilty, narrow, shoulderless backcountry roads; highway speeds; longer (for me) distances; even a little rain. Today I checked off something I've been avoiding: riding through the heart of Fredericksburg town traffic :shock: , with stop and go traffic, 4 lanes on each side, 10-minute backups for no reason, and all the other attendant joys. I knew I could handle the riding, but I didn't want to hassle with the constant shifting and I thought the idiocies of the drivers in that situation would bother me. All went very well, though, and I was relaxed the whole time. I didn't bother to change lanes like I would have in my car, but not because I was afraid to. I was taking Bella in for her 18,000-mile (only 3,000 are mine :oops: ) service, and I had an elderly friend following me to take me home. Getting to the dealership is a little sketchy, and I was afraid she'd get lost as I almost did the first time, so I wanted to keep her right behind me. She's a very conservative driver (i.e., slow), though, so I had to keep an eye on the mirror to avoid getting cars between us or leaving her behind at a stop light. That provided the only tension. Beautiful weather, too. Now Bella is at the dealer and I have to wait for a phone call to find out how much it will hurt :roll: . I told him to check the tires and battery, since I bought the bike used and have no idea how old they are, and to replace them if necessary, so it could be pricey, with the ridiculous labor charges at these places. It feels strange not to have her here :cry: , but I can't ride next week anyway, so it's just as well. Hopefully I'll still get in some leaf-peeping rides, though!
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Re: Tiny little meaningless milestone

Postby BoggyGirl » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:27 pm

Congrats on your milestone! It's good you stayed relaxed. That always seems to make things go more smoothly and helps you focus on the things you need to instead of the worries. Hope you get your baby back soon and without too much dent in your wallet!
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby BlueHD4me » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:18 am

That's a BIG milestone that you've checked off ... give yourself credit where credit is due! :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Myspirit » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Ditto what Leslie says! Congrats!
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby monica » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:43 am

Very good. Keep on keeping on!
monica

Postby filmmommy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Congratulations! I hope you can fill me in on the good roads for riding in the area. I'll crib off your pioneering and hard work.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby lizmcg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:42 pm

Thanks for the congrats! I know it "ain't much," but every little bit counts, and it's another doubt put to rest. :D

Filmmommy, I only know my immediate area for now, but there are several routes I take, from about 25 miles to 45 to about 80, that are scenic, more or less challenging, and away from the urban nastiness. VA backroads and rural areas are beautiful, although the roads can be "interesting" in terms of pavement and banking. When I mentioned the tilting (i.e., they're actually "banked" in the wrong direction) on the Spyder forum, one person described them as just the old cart tracks with some asphalt poured on top. :shock: Once you get used to it, though, it's a nice adrenaline rush. :lol: Of course, there are world-class rides in the area, too, like Skyline Drive, but I haven't tried those yet. I think Skyline Drive itself would be doable, but getting there and back, and total distance, is a bit daunting right now. :oops:
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby gatesb77 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Congrats!!! :D It's so nice to hear of others hitting their milestones. Very encouraging! Thanks for sharing.
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Return to Connect With Others