Lesson learned - riding to the gym is a bad idea

A place to reach out to others

Lesson learned - riding to the gym is a bad idea

Postby deMoMo » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:51 pm

On Monday my schedule was shuffled a bit so I ended up going to the gym from my house, instead of from work. I thought that this would be a good opportunity to ride on the expressway when there was a decent amount of traffic, but for the most part I'd be going the opposite way of rush hour (not that there's much rush hour traffic here).

I was very proud of myself for leaving early enough so that I would have time to go home and get to the car if I decided I didn't feel safe. Riding on the highway was no problem at all. The first few semis that passed me made me a bit nervous, but no big deal. For the most part I stuck to the right lane and didn't do much passing. I made sure to be ultra conservative when people were coming up an onramp.

Everything was wonderful until about halfway through my killer workout when I realized that I would need to put my jeans back on in order to ride back home. Back onto my disgusting, sweaty, stinky body. And I had to put the helmet on my stinky head. There are no shower facilities at the gym I go to.

I will never be doing that again!
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Re: Lesson learned - riding to the gym is a bad idea

Postby lizmcg » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:52 pm

Yeah, that's a drawback! :lol: I was planning to ride my Spyder to bowling when the fall season started (which it did last week) until I thought it through and realized I'd have to take off all my gear (including the Bohn body armor) when I got there, all in a little bathroom stall. Not to mention stowing it all and then putting it back on. Sooooo, unfortunately, it ain't happening. :cry:
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby filmmommy » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:10 pm

Yikes! My whole commuting plan when I get my bike will involve going to the gym at lunch, like I do now. I go to two, and my boxing gym has no air conditioning and no showers! Have to drive back to work! Maybe I will drive my car on those days. People told me the gym wouldn't work out on a bike but I didn't want to believe.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:38 am

Ewwwwie! :o Well, at least the jeans can go in the washing machine. Is your helmet liner removable/washable? If not, get some Frebreze! :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby deeg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:38 am

On karate days (three times a week), I either bring light weight sweats to change into, or, I put my gi top in the bag, and just wear gi pants and t-shirt. Dojo has no a/c or showers. I usually have a small towel with me, I wipe off most of the sweat. I keep the vents open on my riding gear and during the hot summer months, the breeze feels wonderful.
deeg

Postby lizmcg » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:10 pm

One other thing that occurred to me. . . . You can get a skull cap type of thing to wear under your helmet. There are lots of them out there (check Amazon) specifically made to wear under motorcycle helmets, and they wick away moisture, keep your hair much drier, and protect the helmet liner. You can then just toss the cap in the wash instead of having to disassemble the helmet lining. I love mine.
lizmcg

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:08 am

Liz which one do you wear? Any problems with it sliding too far down your forehead when putting on your full face helmet? That's always my issue with any type of item that is "supposed" to keep my hair in place.
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby lizmcg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:23 am

Mine is by GearTOP. I got it on Amazon, but I'm not allowed to post a URL here. The manufacturer part number is 15-0105, so if you search for GearTOP 15-0105, hopefully it will show up (it worked for me just now). It costs $11.99 as of today. The first time I tried it on, I put it on backwards and thought the fit was awful. Then I figured out that the emblem and tag go in the back, and it fit perfectly! It's shaped to cover the ears, which is nice. I had to practice a little to avoid dragging it down with the helmet, but I figured out how to do it, and that's never a problem now. I just place the forehead part of the helmet interior on first and pull the back part down, if that makes sense. Since I've been wearing it, I no longer have helmet hair. My hair isn't even damp, even on 95-degree humid days, unless I take the helmet off and walk around. Washes easily, too.
lizmcg

Postby BlueHD4me » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks Liz!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby deMoMo » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Liz - I have a lot of hair (a LOT of hair) - do you think that it would stay down? A lot of times I put on caps and they just pop off.
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Next

Return to Connect With Others