My longest ride

A place to reach out to others

My longest ride

Postby Goldenbadger » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 am

So far My longest ride in one day has been about 3 1/2 hours. That's with a few hour break in the middle. I'm meeting friends in Ogelsby, IL next weekend. It's about a 5 hr drive, most of it down the Mississippi River, and I'm contemplating riding instead of driving the car. About ½ of the trip will be 4 lane hwy, which I have avoided so far. I really want to ride it, but I'm a little chicken. I need encouragement.
Leanne
HD Softail Slim
Goldenbadger

Re: My longest ride

Postby Myspirit » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:52 am

hi!

If you can find a good ole paper map, you should be able to come up with roads that would let you bypass the four lane. I am with you on avoiding it. Besides country roads are more scenic. Be sure to hydrate well before and during the ride. Stop when you need a break or sooner to keep from getting tired.

Whether you do the highway or not, I wish you good weather and safe travels.
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby dbsteffy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:01 pm

If the slab is the only way to go, just do a few different things than the county roads. Stay away from semis, they can't see you, create a lot of turbulence, block the road ahead so you can't see what's coming up and can hide you from other traffic. Stay in the right 2 lanes if you're not passing. You can take the express lanes if you're feeling brave. You can always tuck in behind a vehicle that is traveling at a speed you're comfortable with, even if it's a little under the speed limit. Best part of freeway riding is everyone is going in the same direction, no left turners to worry about.
Ride as carefully as you would in town, watch out for yourself and the other guy. You'll be fine.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Goldenbadger » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Thank you for the advice. Unfortunately, it looks like the weather is not going to cooperate. I'm going to have to take the car. :(
Leanne
HD Softail Slim
Goldenbadger

Return to Connect With Others