Parking Etiquette

A place to reach out to others

Parking Etiquette

Postby deMoMo » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:02 pm

This week I'm going to a food truck rodeo at the public market. This is a hot ticket and parking is always a problem.

I'm thinking about taking my bike and was wondering what the parking etiquette is. If I see a spot with a single motorcycle in it, with plenty of room for a 2nd bike, can I park there?

When I park, should I be backing into the spot? Does it really matter?

Should I park as close as I can to the outside of the spot (closest to the lane), or should I park in the back of the spot (closest to the adjacent spot)?

Can I change from my heavy jeans into my comfy shorts in the middle of the parking lot,or do I have to find a more private place to do that? :o :o :o ;) ;)
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Re: Parking Etiquette

Postby tlc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:49 pm

deMoMo wrote:I'm thinking about taking my bike and was wondering what the parking etiquette is. If I see a spot with a single motorcycle in it, with plenty of room for a 2nd bike, can I park there?

When I park, should I be backing into the spot? Does it really matter?

Can I change from my heavy jeans into my comfy shorts in the middle of the parking lot,or do I have to find a more private place to do that?

Yes, normally it's OK to park in a spot with another bike. Most riders consider it a compliment as well :). Just make sure that you don't block the other bike from being able to leave whenever they want.
As far as whether to back in or not, I say do whatever is easiest for you. It makes no difference to me or anyone that I know as to which way a bike is parked. Make sure to note the "slope" when deciding which way to pull into the space. You don't want to try backing into a space if it's uphill.

As far as changing goes, probably private but that depends on the crowd.
tlc

Postby deeg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:27 pm

I tend to get a bit PO'd if I find a strange bike sharing a spot with mine. Don't assume that its OK. I moved a bike out of MY spot once and left it in the aisle. Mainly because I park in the middle of the spot, and this person decided it was ok to try and squeeze in their bike next to mine. Nope. Not OK.

Unless, of course, you ask first.
deeg

Postby lizmcg » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:06 pm

As to where in the space you should park (if I understand your question correctly), I've always been told to park near enough to the front of the space so that a car won't think the space is empty and pull in and hit you before they register that the bike is there (this would assume the spots on both sides are full and the bike isn't visible, of course). It makes sense to me, and I try to do it. IRT sharing a spot with a bike already in it, I haven't had the experience, but personally, I'd hesitate to do it. I think if someone did it to me, I'd be uncomfortable at best; sort of a "violation of my space" thing. A parking spot is really intended for a single vehicle, whatever the size, and a bike rider has as much right to one as a car driver. Of course, if you're riding with someone, it would be considerate to share a spot. Does that make sense? :?
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby BlueHD4me » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:18 am

Not that is pertains to the etiquette question ... but if I'm recalling this correctly, I learned in my MSF course that the city of San Diego will ticket the bikes if there is more than one bike parked in a metered (paid) spot regardless if there is ample room for two (or more) bikes. :roll:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby deMoMo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:30 am

Thank you to everyone for the feedback! I guess that I'll err on the side of caution and find my own spot. I missed the food truck rodeo last night since I had to work late. But I know that I will have other opportunities to put this into action.
Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling
deMoMo

Return to Connect With Others