General bike question

A place to reach out to others

General bike question

Postby lizmcg » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:49 pm

I posted this here because I don't want to put it under any specific brand in the motorcycle section. Hope that's OK!

As you may know, I now have a Can Am Spyder 3-wheeler, which I absolutely love. However, I did enjoy riding my Sportster in the intervals when my confidence was high, and I've been thinking I might eventually buy an inexpensive small bike of some kind just to keep my 2-wheel hand in and enjoy the things that are unique to 2 wheels (if that makes sense). I wouldn't tour on it or anything, since I have the Spyder for that, just play around occasionally, so I wouldn't want it to cost much or need much money to be spent on it for maintenance. It's way too early to be thinking about it, but I thought I'd ask for suggestions on what to consider so I could store up the info and see what's available as I go along. I have lots of time; I wouldn't do it for a couple of years, probably, but at this point I know from nothing about what's suitable, or even if it's a stupid idea or not, so I would appreciate any suggestions. I toyed with the idea of keeping the Sportster for the purpose, but it was too nice a bike for that (and too much bike for what I'm thinking of). I'd like something really reliable and, if possible, something I could pick up by myself.

Thanks!
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Re: General bike question

Postby Myspirit » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:25 pm

I don't know what cc you want, but my Honda Shadow Spirit at 750cc is easy to handle. I have highway bars and do not believe I would have any issue with picking it up (it is not on my list of things to do - haha). Great gas mileage and if you get a 2009 or later, it has a shaft drive so it is practically maintenance free. I am not sure of the weight but I think 550 lbs. You can usually get them used with low mileage at a good price.

Good luck with your search!
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby Zaandar » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:44 am

I have a 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S that seems perfect for you describe. It is a 650cc and very easy to handle. It weighs just under 500 lbs and a new one runs about US $7500. I am 5'3" and easily flat-foot on stops. The bike can be set up for shorter or taller but I left mine as stock and have had no issues. Even though it is just a 650cc, it has no problem keeping up with hubby's Road King.

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2016-Vulcan-S-ABS
Sandra

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc)
Zaandar

Postby tlc » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:14 am

lizmcg wrote:I'd like something really reliable and, if possible, something I could pick up by myself.

If I were to get a smaller bike as a second bike, I would get a Honda 250 Rebel just to rip around on. They are low to the ground (I don't remember how tall you are Liz), around 300 - 350 pounds depending on the year, easy enough to pick up for most, r-e-l-i-a-b-l-e, inexpensive (I bought my for about $2500 and it was in perfect condition) and they are a Honda~ period.

Going for a newer bike would be the biggest thing. Older bikes that have been stored/not used tend to have fueling problems. Most often the "learner" type bikes have less miles because they are used to learn on and then the rider moves up. I've said it a million times but I really wish I had kept my Rebel. I sold it because I wanted to make sure that I HAD to ride the Sporty.
After riding that Can-AM of your's a smaller bike will seem like a "scooter" :lol: .
tlc

Postby lizmcg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:05 pm

Thanks for the input so far; please, keep it coming!

I'm leaning toward the smaller bike in my thoughts right now. I really enjoy the size of the Spyder. Like one of the Motor Maids said, I don't have to be intimidated; I can own my lane. and the ability to carry stuff is really great. For any serious riding (or "ryding," as we like to say :roll: ), that's what I'll use. A bike would be just for fun and short rides. I'd just want it big enough to be safe in traffic, able to keep up or get out of the way, etc. My Sportster was considered a small bike in the Harley world, but it's not really small in cc's or weight, so I want something less than that that's still a motorcycle.

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the heck out of my Bellatrix (just passed 1,400 miles :o )! Thank goodness she reached out and called me and I listened! :lol:
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby deeg » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:57 pm

Honda Rebel, CB500X, CBR250R. Suzuki TU250.

The 250's are light, fun and cheap to buy and maintain. The CB is a bit bigger, and will cruise along at 80 all day long. The 250's..... not so much.

And speaking of scooters..... when we were in Thailand this past January, I rented a Honda Forza. 300cc, automatic. I LOVED this thing. Spent three weeks tooling around northern Thailand on it. It would do 70+ on the highway, and was small enough to do some serious lane splitting in downtown Chiang Mai traffic. Has some nice under seat storage as well.
deeg

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:04 am

As far as picking the bike up yourself, if you do it properly you can pick up even a bigger bike. I personally think they should teach that in all BRC, but they don't. I watched a video & explanation online from a female biker up at Americade. She picked up an 800lb bike, & she's not a big woman. Definitely google the topic. When my bike fell over in the driveway (it wasn't even on, it was dumb), I picked it up myself. It's a little over 500lb. I really think it is something important to learn.

I second the Kawasaki Vulcan though. I was going between the Vulcan & my Victory for my 1st bike, but I chose the Victory cause of the higher cc. I figured it was a better investment for what I want. But the Vulcan is a great bike.
DeputySprinkles

Return to Connect With Others