Where do you carry?

A place to reach out to others

Where do you carry?

Postby Zaandar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:18 am

Question for those of you that carry CCW. Where do you carry it? My jacket pockets are a little too small so I was considering on the waistband. I don't have saddlebags and would prefer to have it on me anyway. I had a minor mechanical issue in a very desolate area this morning so I think it is time to come up with a solution. What do you guys recommend?
Sandra

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc)
Zaandar

Re: Where do you carry?

Postby tlc » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:46 pm

Zaandar wrote:My jacket pockets are a little too small so I was considering on the waistband.

My first thought is, can you alter the jacket pocket to make it a little bigger?
When I bought my vented jacket I had read reviews that the pockets were too small. I had planned on having to do a pocket lining alteration so I could fit my snubnose in one. I got lucky, it is small enough to fit without having to do the change.
If you think you can alter the jacket I bet you can just rip out a bit of the lining in a side seam to gain access to the pocket lining. You can either add to the existing lining or maybe make a new lining and attach it to the pocket facing.
Maybe someone will be able to give you more options than I have. Let us know what you end up doing to solve your issue.
tlc

Postby Zaandar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:55 pm

I had not thought of altering the jacket. I will look at it in the morning. Thanks!
Sandra

Zaandar

Postby wingryder92 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:39 pm

At present I usually have mine in my purse which is located in the trunk/topbox. SO usually carries in his riding overpants pocket or on his waist. I may need to think of having on my person if riding alone and my jacket pockets would work fine. We have friends who carry in their boot but mine would be uncomfortable if it were in my boot and probably wouldn't fit.

If the jacket pocket doesn't work out could you add a tank bag or maybe a handlebar pouch that would work for you? And they do make fanny packs to CCW.
Have a safe ride!
Debra
YOU CAN'T PUT IT ON WHEN YOU'RE GOING DOWN
LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO
'03 GoldWing 1800
'92 GoldWing w/Daytona 2x2 Sidecar(for my Aussies!)
ATGATT W/ POLICE STYLE SAFETY VEST
wingryder92

Postby Zaandar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:50 am

I checked my jacket. The inside liner is a thin mesh. I don't think it would hold the weight without tearing. I did try one magnetic tank bag but it was not a great one so it did not stay on the tank properly. I am looking into a sturdier one. The boot is an interesting idea but in my case, my boots are shin-high and snug so that is a no-go unless I find some boots just for that purpose. I don't love the thought of carrying on my waist. I would have to buy bigger jeans :lol: and I think it would be uncomfortable. I will keep looking for options and let you guys know.
Sandra

Zaandar

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:46 pm

I carry either a Beretta Tomcat, smaller than my palm or a Smith & Wesson .38 Airlight, hammerless revolver. All my riding jackets have an inside chest pocket that easily hold the guns that are fitted in a soft slip on 1/2 holster. That's the leather Harley and the mesh 3-in-1 and also the First Gear Star textile jacket. And a First Gear leather vest. The mesh pocket is deep and on the right, the gun falls below the right 'girl', almost to my waist, but is not uncomfortable while riding. The leather and the textile have the pocket on the left and are not too deep. Neither guns feels heavy or awkward, on or off the bike and since my bags don't lock, I usually keep it with me, or lock it in Hubby's bags. They aren't heavy while walking around as long as I don't unzip the jacket and the it pulls down on the shoulder.
You don't have a windshield, is a handlebar bag something that will fit on your bike?
I have belt holsters for both and may at some point carry that way but only if the gun is completely covered by the jacket, I really don't want to advertise that I carry.
I haven't come across any businesses that prohibit CCW's there's supposed to be a warning on the front door, I haven't seen one.
When we ride with other people, I don't always tell them if I'm carrying, especially if we're not acquainted, first.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:13 pm

What do you carry? I've been googling holsters. I haven't found a good looking fannypack yet, I'm heading to small purses.
Actually, on this site is a vendor that makes hipster purses, they're attractive, could be a solution.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Zaandar » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm

I carry a Springfield Armory XD-S 9mm with the 3" barrel. http://www.springfield-armory.com/xd-s-series/ You guys are coming up with great options. I think I need to also try a smaller sleeve for it. It would just have to cover the trigger completely. I won't carry with the trigger exposed. I am wondering if a small cross-body purse would work... The strap would have to be sturdy. I could carry that under my jacket. I should have planned this better before buying my jacket but since the jacket was purple, I had to have it regardless. :D
Last edited by Zaandar on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandra

Zaandar

Postby Myspirit » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:13 pm

The Well Armed Woman website has several solutions for women who carry. They also have a private forum for women riders who carry. https://thewellarmedwoman.com/womens-gun-zone/. It is a very educational site for women shooters.
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:00 pm

Sandra, that's a nice sized weapon. I use a small soft holster, the kind that's meant to go inside a pants pocket.
It's the Uncle Mike's Inside-the-Pocket Holster about $10.00. It covers the barrel and trigger, doesn't add bulk or have hard edges that makes bumps in the jacket.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Next

Return to Connect With Others