Do you have an "image"?

A place to reach out to others

Re: Do you have an "image"?

Postby DianneB » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 pm

BoggyGirl wrote:.... some of us are even pretty weird :D.

Thank you! I resemble that remark. ROFL!
DianneB

Postby BoggyGirl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:48 am

DianneB wrote:Thank you! I resemble that remark. ROFL!

Me too! :lol:
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby SPY » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:37 pm

Sometime in my early 30's, (17 years ago) I made this statement to someone close to me: "Life is so much easier when you don't have an image to uphold." Who cares what people think?

But then again, I have totally enjoyed being the new manager at work (CPA firm) and have my staff say things like, "I think she is a bigger badass than any of us know!", when they find out I ride. None of us ride to be bad assess. We ride because we love it. And if that makes us a lil badass, so be it. :)
2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Former:
SV650S
WR250R, TTR-230, CRF150F
SPY

Postby mysticfire » Tue May 05, 2015 6:48 am

Wow, this post has been going for a while. I have enjoyed reading through all the replies.
I have to say that i am new to riding my own bike, but haven been riding on the back for over 20 years. I am 42 and have never wanted to wear a uniform of any kind, and that is what i call the all black, bad boy, biker look. It is a uniform. I never wanted to look like one of those girls who have to wear the high heels and thongs at bike week. Even when I may have look amazing in one of those get ups, it just was not me. Those days have sailed and I am a mom to a teenage girl and i would not want to wear anything that I would not want to see my daughter in.
With that said, I am an old punk rocker and love old school things. I still love skulls and classic hot rod flames. I love old cars and bobber style bikes. I love my dr martens in dark cherry. I have a strange image and it is all my own.
I breed and show rottweilers and most weekends i am in a 3 peice suit running around a ring with cooked liver or chicken in my pocket. It is there that I feel I am wearing a uniform. I have to be so conservative for the sport. I did get my dogs crates covered in flame material and all of my items have flames of some kind.
When I hit the road with my biker friends, you can pick me out because I normally have something on that has a rottweiler on it. I am not big on patches, but i am having my kennel logo made into a patch for my leather jacket, That is my way of doing it my own way and poking fun at the "Patched In" look, I will be the only human member of a well pedigreed group of bitches (and one stud dog). LOL
My image? I think it is just to be myself where ever i go. I am a small town, southern girl who loves to work at her mini ranch, loves to go the her daughters equestrian events, loves dogs and farming and who happens to be a lover of old skool punk rock, bikes and hot rods. SO i guess I am a country girl who dresses funny when she aint all gussied up!!
Leslie K
Cocoa, FL
Mystic Fire Rottweilers
'04 HD Sportster 883 ( first bike ever)
mysticfire

Postby DianneB » Wed May 06, 2015 4:37 am

mysticfire wrote:... never wanted to wear a uniform of any kind...

Funny how that works, isn't it? We all want to keep our individuality but we all have an image whether we intend to or not.

I spent the last 30 years of my career in a government engineering office so there was considerable pressure to be neat and professional, to "fit the image" both to the public and to contractors.

Being retired for 3 years now and having got back into riding (yet again!) I find myself leaning toward a more edgy IDGAS ("I don't give a XXXX") image - I get my pension whether I offend people or not so I wear what I want LOL! I am new to cultivating a biker image and still working on it but I am shooting toward "bad-ass granny on a hawg"! ;)
DianneB

Postby Brunette » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 pm

7of9 wrote:
2WheelsinWyo wrote:
I love that when young girls see us riding, they see confidence. They see strong, independent female role models. They see stereotypes smashed and they see us having FUN doing it! Every time I pass a small face with a pony tail pressed against the glass of a truck or van, I hope that they see me and don't wait as long as I did to live the life that makes them whole, that maybe, just maybe, seeing me with my pony tail flying, gives them the idea that they don't have to fit a mold or water down their dreams.

For me...those moments are almost as good as riding itself. :D

Cripes! That made me tear up! You are so, so right.
Brunette

Postby lizmcg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:04 am

Wow! Thanks for resurrecting this thread; I never saw it! Now I have to think about my "image" and post something. I hope others who weren't in the original thread also post. Hmmmm, who am I???? :?: :twisted: :geek:
2012 Can Am Spyder RTS SE5 (Bellatrix)
lizmcg

Postby monica » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:11 pm

My 'image' used to be quiet, background, just do my job behind the scenes. I was a tomboy, haven't worn lady clothes since the daughter's wedding in December 1996. Always casual. Often jeans except for church, then nice pants. However, I passed the riding class last year just before my 66th birthday and we had a gig (bluegrass/gospel - I play upright bass) the evening of my birthday. The guys in good fun got me some temporary tattoos, and our leader almost always announces to whatever group (churches, senior health day in the park, nursing homes, etc) that I ride a motorcycle - a LOT. I dress atgatt, try to be polite and let cars in that have waited a while for a rare break in traffic, etc. For summer I wear a black Tourmaster armored riding pants, and a white/black FirstGear armored riding jacket. I have been using a silver metallic helmet, but just got a Shoei! Black and white, with a little blue - only one skull, but it's on the back surrounded by two angels... the angels outnumber the bad. So recently I have posted my new ride on FB and have had a lot of conversations of admiration for the Scout 60, and for me. I'm about to do a two-week solo trip on it...not planned except to take about three days to go from Guntersville, AL to Dallas, TX where the daughter lives, then meander some more, perhaps visit a couple of other people, see things as it takes my fancy...

There are people who say things like "Is that too much bike for you?", and "You don't need to go that fast!" and are very surprised at my independence. But I decided to stop being afraid to do things. Actually, I'm very nervous, but one guy said yesterday that he wants to be me when he grows up. I told him I'm still growning up.
monica

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:39 am

This thread has life because it's interesting. We are so individual but so strongly connected as women on motorcycles. I really like to hear what others think of themselves as riders and I try to get a mental picture of each one of you. I really enjoy rockin' my Harley gear, partly because I'm an old fat woman who most people would think shouldn't be on a bike and mostly because I'm so damn happy when I'm riding and I want everyone to know it.

A few weeks ago Hubby and I stopped at Walmart, in the parking lot, a little old Lady walked up to me, she was 90 years old, we talked for a while, when she was 16, her best friend's father owned a Harley dealership and would occasionally take her on short rides around the neighborhood, she never told her parents. She had a few boyfriends that had bikes but never rode her own and wished she had. She told me that seeing me on my own bike made her happy, wished us well and gave me a hug and that made me happy.

I think, as women on motorcycles, we have a perceived image by the general public that we have no control over. I hope I make it a good one.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby KOfromCO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:59 pm

I (like many on here) started riding a little later in life. I have a note at my desk at work that says:

Don't trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.

I don't remember where I found that quote, but I like it.
Current: '17 HD Street Glide Special (crushed ice pearl)
Prior:
'13 HD Softail Deluxe (3/13 - 9/17) (red)
'11 Honda Shadow Arrow 750 (6/12 - 3/13) (red)
'11 V-Star 250
(3/12 - 6/12) (black)
KOfromCO

PreviousNext

Return to Connect With Others