Hello from Massachussetts!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from Massachussetts!

Postby TraumaWaffles » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:39 pm

Hello! Glad to finally become apart of this community.
Names, Yvonne, I reside in Shelburne, Mass. beautiful town and lots of places to go riding. I took a riding class for 3 days, and got my license, though prior to that I had my permit and bought "Molly" as I call her, shes a 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Slim. Though some may think its a powerful and big bike for a beginner. But it's the only bike I feel absolutely comfortable with, she's sits at a whopping 23.8 inches high, and I'm able to put both feet on the ground and I have no means whatsoever to ride reckless. I'm also an EMT for the county so I've already come across several bike accidents that scare me. But it still doesn't prevent me from riding. So far it's been raining lately so I havent really gone out riding as much as I'd love to. I still am a bit jolty on stop and turns, but as they say, "Look where you want the bike to go!!"

The boyfriend also rides, way longer than me, and he took the course to get his license back in 98' and rode with him on his bike, aka "Ol' Blue" a 03' Dyna Wide Glide. So, here I am, a fresh new rider with the bike I love and enjoy riding (when its not freaking raining). Hope to make some friends!
TraumaWaffles

Re: Hello from Massachussetts!

Postby filmmommy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:29 am

Welcome to the forums! I am a very new rider myself and this forum has been great for advice and support! Interesting to hear you're an EMT and still ride. As a mom of young kids, I am constantly trying to decide if I should stick with this or give it up (a woman in a mom's group just tried to talk me out of it by telling me about people she knows who've been killed in recent years -- which set off my anxiety again). So I'd be interested to know how you balance what you've seen with your plans to ride.

I think you need to get whatever bike makes you comfortable. I'm looking to move on from my starter bike soon and I worry I'll have a hard time choosing, so good you know what worked for you.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby gatesb77 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:33 am

Welcome! I'm also from MA. I just picked up a Harley Street Bob and am in LOVE. I only started riding next year. Here's to being in love with your bike! :-D
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Postby Myspirit » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:48 pm

welcome Yvonne!

I hope the rain has stopped so you can ride!

Amy, you need to tell the nay sayers that you know the sport has risks but please do not tell you their horror stories as you need to be positive when you are on your ride. You do not want to be riding and have someome's scary story pop in your mind.

People are injured in cars every day. Does anyone tell us not to drive as a result? Accidents happen with sports, yet no one says quit playing football or soccer or whatever. This is one of my pet peeves (can you tell?). We know the risks. We educate ourselves and we practice to minimize the risks. Most of the ride is mental and we do not need people putting negative thoughts and fear in our minds. I had to tell people that I appreciate their concern, but I do not need to hear these horror stories and please do not tell them to me. It was the best thing I did!

Ride safe!
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby monica » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Yvonne! I only started riding at age 66 (took the riding class for my birthday almost 2 years ago). Many people were sure my daughter wouldn't approve, but she said, "Go Mom!" My local friend/emergency contact, since I'm not related to anybody in the state of Alabama, has many doctor friends who, as well as his policeman dad, calls them 'donor-cycles', so he encouraged me to stay far away from motorcycles. However, as I took the class, showed him the armored safety gear I always ride with, told him how I practice, discuss motorcyclists riding as we see them on the bus (I'm in a bluegrass-gospel group and he plays fiddle and drives the bus), he has the confidence that I'm always trying to look for the problems so I can avoid them, to think ahead, to think what the other vehicles might do. So far I have ridden more than 35,000 miles. So now he is my encourager, has confidence in me. So many accidents are caused by rider error, too fast in the corner, not thinking about left-turning vehicles. I read "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough, and get tips from that, and try to think like a motorcyclist even driving my regular vehicle. Glad you're riding! So many people have told me they are scared, but you can't be scared of life. Go Yvonne!
monica

Postby TraumaWaffles » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:04 pm

Hello again!

So far I have been riding, and I'm finally at 400 miles finally being put onto the bike. Haha, slowly but surely. I've also been taking the bike out to work, and I'm semi-comfortable with night riding which is definetly a whole new world in itself. I've gone up to 2 hours for one ride and 2 hours in a return, and I'm pretty happy with the distance. I do feel some soreness in my lower back, but thats also because back in March, I had lower back surgery and a bunch of other crap happen in my life, so taking that leap to take the class, and go get the bike of my dreams was definetly a huge stress relief. Riding has become something I get excited and I still get the jitters when I get ready for a ride. I'm also slowly buying little accessories to make the rides more custom to my style. The boyfriend has been nothing but positive and ensuring also giving pointers and feedback when needed or when I generally ask. Told me I took to it like a fish to water, so that makes my day so much better. Other than that, I really have been finding reasons to take the bike out.
TraumaWaffles

Postby stephps » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Yvonne,

Just now getting to this thread... I'm also in MA! I live in Hudson and ride a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit. I just upgraded last year after spending my first couple seasons on a 250. I've mostly ridden in NH since I store the bike with family members up there, and am looking forward to getting it down to MA soon to enjoy as much riding as possible before winter. When you get to the point of longer rides, I highly recommend going up and down the Connecticut River Valley.
stephps

Return to Introduce Yourself