Another Short - Older Newbie

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Re: Another Short - Older Newbie

Postby MCGrrrl » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Welcome! Have you considered changing the levers for the clutch and brake? When I rode the Sporty, we adjusted the levers so it they were easier to pull in. Also, there is a good article on WRN about levers for small hands. I also have arthritis so it helps there too! Google "levers for small hands" and you might get some ideas. The right equipment can make a huge difference.

Keep practicing!
MCGrrrl

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:26 am

Welcome! I didn't start riding till the age of 40. I took the BRC bought my motorcycle (a Victory Octane), and started out just riding around my neighborhood, and taking side street to the high school near me to practice all of the slow maneuvers and stopping. I was only riding 2 months & I had to get knee surgery that put me out from Thanksgiving until just 3 weeks ago. I got back on, practiced the same way the 1st day. Was only out at most an hour. Yesterday I went for a ride on local roads with a good friend of mine who is an instructor, and also went to a bigger lot to practice slow speed maneuvers.

I have a 13 year old son, so I sometimes think "What am I doing". But each time I go out and practice, and slowly progress, I feel more and more confident. Definitely start out slow, practice the basics, get good at the basics, then get out there for little bits. You will be out there in no time!
DeputySprinkles

Postby ladyverity » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:57 pm

So, all of the bolder mature women are living on the West coast? What gives??

Seriously though, delighted to hear that another mature woman has taken to the roads.

Its hard to get it going here in Toronto (funny, eh?) but after chatting with some women here on the forum I think I am going to find someone to help me over the hump. I don't think I need a full course again; just a lesson or two.

How short is short anyway? Just curious...:0)

If I make it out west AND I can ride well enough to rent, maybe I'll see you on the roads somewhere...

:0)
ladyverity

Postby pvandermey » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:28 pm

I have watched friends switch from 2 to 3 wheels as they "get older" and I see their struggles, especially on the twisties. I have been tempted to trade mine in because I am so fearful of dropping it and not being able to get it back up again; but just keep parking it in places I know I can roll out of easily, and praying that God has my back, and getting out as often as possible to keep the confidence that I can keep on doing this.

I have been riding for 50 years, off and on, and ride a HD Electra-Glide Standard, the baby of the baggers. I had it lowered when I bought it in 2004 and can keep it steady with both feet planted if I have to. I hope I can keep on riding on 2 for as long as I am able.

I highly recommend a safety course, or advanced safety course; but encourage you mostly to just get out there and practice and don't think about what anyone else is thinking about you! You can and will do this and you will have a great time. Wish I was going with...safe travels.
pvandermey

Re: Another Older Newbie

Postby ladyverity » Thu May 25, 2017 4:17 pm

:0)
ladyverity

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself