Another Short - Older Newbie

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Another Short - Older Newbie

Postby Geckolvr89 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Hi all - I'm from Vernon, B.C.and just bought a HD 750. I'm 5'1 and am 61 years old. I have a CanAm Spyder which I have been riding for 4 years. Feel super comfortable on it - in fact took a trip down the Baja this winter on it. I took the safety training course 4 years ago but feel like I am starting all over now that I am switching to two wheels. Went out with my husband yesterday - down to the parking lot where I started practicing my long wide figure eights and doing a lot of stop and starts - dropped the bike once:(. Am finding it hard to get the feel of the clutch and throttle though I guess I can't expect much from my first time out. I wonder if other women had the same anxiety about getting out each time - I feel nervous but know I should just get out there!!! Ahhhhh - what have I gotten myself into? Any comments will be greatly appreciated!.
Geckolvr89

Re: Another Short - Older Newbie

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:49 am

Hi Geckolvr89 and welcome. You're almost starting over again, going from 2 wheels to 2 but you're at least 50% ahead of most newbies and know how and what to practice. Yeah, dropping the bike is a bummer, it happens, been there, dropped that, hope I won't do it this year. And yes, you have to get out there, put your butt in the seat, get miles under you, each outing will be better, you will take 2 steps forward and a half back. Stay positive, we 60-ish women can get it done, just like the younger ones, may take a tad longer ;) .
I'm curious why you want to go to 2 wheels from the Spyder.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Geckolvr89 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:29 am

Thanks for your reply - you're right - we 60-ish women can get it done - my new mantra will be - "I can - I can - I can" ☺️
My husband and brother both ride Victory's and we want to do some bike tours - we are planning a trip for 2018 to Africa. Most of the tour company's only rent out 2 wheelers. Plus I am told that - once I get the hang of it - motorcycles are way easier to ride and maneuver. As much as I love my Spyder - it is actually a lot of work when you are on the twists and turns - as I experienced going down the Baja ;)
Geckolvr89

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 am

89, your motto should be I can I can I did :). And that's a great reason to do 2 wheels, Africa 2018, you'll be there.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby filmmommy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:36 am

I can appreciate the anxiety. I am 41, but have a 2 and 5-year-old at home. So I get excited to go out and practice, then get nervous, then go out and like it, then come home and wonder, "What am I doing??!!! This is insane!"

But you have some experience under your belt, so you're already doing well! And hoping your schedule isn't quite as insane as mine so you can practice more than a few times a week. Although, to be honest, I feel quite spent after practicing, so an hour max a few times a week is all I can handle! I struggle with the clutch an throttle, too. Or then I get it only to lose it for a bit, or move on to struggling with something else!
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby Geckolvr89 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:07 am

LOL - Looks like we're all in the same boat - wondering what the heck we're doing. It's great to have a place to "vent" and get inspiration from other like-minded women.

I agree with you filmmomy - about an hour or so - I'm done. But I will persevere and look forward to reading about everyone's experiences!!
Geckolvr89

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:25 pm

Hi and welcome Geckolvr89!

Yes, give yourself time with getting the hang of the throttle and clutch. Remember to eaaaazzze out that clutch.

Why are you going from 3 wheels to 2? Normally it's the other way around :)

Editing to add: ^^ never mind, I missed your second reply to that question. Sounds like great fun to do a trip like that and on a bike too!

I would be interested to know your thoughts on making the transition from 3 wheels to 2. In the end, was it as easy or as hard as you thought?
tlc

Postby BlueHD4me » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:34 am

Welcome Geckolvr89 :D

Wow! Unusual to go from 3 wheels to 2, but the reasons sure make sense. Tour in Africa? :o DANG! I'd be sure and rent something FAST that can outrun a wild animal! :lol:

Keep us posted on your shopping.
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby monica » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:38 am

Welcome Geckolvr89! I only started the first time for my 66th birthday. The first riding coach was sure this wasn't for me. The second was dubious but kind and more helpful, explained better. So now I go go go. Yes you can!!! The clutch is so important. In the class I wasn't so good at very slow speed, but I have practiced it, and there are lots of times that comes in very handy, with a little throttle, friction zone play, and rear brake. You'll get it, with practice practice practice.
monica

Postby gatesb77 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:53 am

Welcome!! A Spyder and a HD sounds like a whole lot of fun :D
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself