A New Short Rider Looking for Reccomendations

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

A New Short Rider Looking for Reccomendations

Postby danistrick912 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:40 am

HI! My name is Danielle! I am 21 years old, 5'2" around 125lb and am spending two days next weekend completing the GaMotorcycleSafetyProgram. At that point I will have my license. I am super excited and have grew up around motorcycles (mainly Harleys). My boyfriend drives a 2007 Yamaha R6s which I ride with him all the time; but that is the only experience on a sport bike that I have. I have been looking for interest in certain bikes, I know for sure that I want a sport bike as my own bike.

Anyways, any suggestions on a short girls sport or super sport? :?:
danistrick912

Re: A New Short Rider Looking for Reccomendations

Postby pvandermey » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Do not be talked into something you are not able to handle, by anyone! There are kits that can lower the CG on almost any bike but only about an inch. Pick a bike that when you straddle your feet are solid on the ground and you can maneuver the bike with your thighs, especially parked on a hill or at a bad angle. Upper body strength is important but your legs are your friends. I don't have any specific recommendations for sporties but if you move to something American, think HD low riders, springer, fat boy, or dyna low rider. I ride a Electra Glide Standard, lowered, no box on the back (adds too much weight) and honestly wouldn't ride anything else. Stay away from anything that looks or acts like a sportster as the CG is way too high and you have a tough time keeping it upright when standing still. If it feels like you can handle it, you can. If it feels too top heavy, move on...be safe.
pvandermey

Postby gatesb77 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:15 pm

Welcome and good luck with the course next weekend! I agree with pvandermey in that if it feels like you can handle it you can and if it feels too top heavy move on. But I would only say move on for your first bike. Once you gain skills and confidence the heavier bikes aren't so intimidating. If you're looking into sport bikes check out the yamaha r3 or the honda cbr300r or cbr250r. I've heard good things about both being really good starter bikes for the sport bike crowd. I haven't ridden either so I can't comment on the ride but I have sat on them and I was able to get most of both feet down. I am slightly taller though at 5'3. Sport bikes vs cruisers are generally lighter however for the sport bikes when you get up in CCs you also go up in weight. For example the r3 vs r6 vs r1 the weight is definitely noticeable. When you get rolling you don't feel the weight.

I had a couple friends try to tell me to go right for the 600 super sport class bike but I had reservations. I'm actually glad I didn't do that. I started on a classic, a 1975 Honda CB400f super sport. Cool little bike. I could get my feet down, it wasn't super super heavy and it had decent zip. I did grow out of it somewhat quickly and was looking for a little more oomph. So I recently upgraded to a Ducati 959 Panigale. Obviously a night and day difference not only due to technology but also the increase in power. I'm enjoying learning my new bike but will forever say I'm glad I didn't start on something bigger. Be a sponge at the training course, have fun and ride safe :D

Try out this website it will give you a good idea of how you'll fit on a bike.
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Also if you're into YouTube check out this vlogger. She's a short rider and started on a CBR250r and is now riding a Triumph Street Triple which she had lowered.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCCTUm ... mg7b7a8b9g

Also check out this guy. He's a short rider and has a couple videos on sport bike recommendations for short riders.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_l6Il ... xZrB7wx7bQ
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Postby deeg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:49 pm

Sport bike, huh? cool! You might find is easier to start out on a smaller bike like the CBR300R or something like that. If a way cool sport bike was "spine friendly" to me and my boyfriend rode an R6, I'd get an Aprilia Tuono or an RSV4. hehehe but, those are kinda tall bikes.

BMW has a couple of lower seat optional sport bikes. S1000XR and the K1300 both have 31" seat available.

Honda also has a CBR500 and 650 if you want something a little less of a speed demon.

Once you get comfortable on a bike, the desire to keep both feet solidly planted will go away. The world becomes your motorcycle oyster when that happens. :-)
deeg

Postby tlc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am

Hello Danielle and welcome to the forum.

I can't add much to your quest for a sport bike.

Here is a link to some reviews on WRN that might be of interest: http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/spo ... views.aspx
and one more: http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/spo ... orner.aspx

I know you aren't looking for a cruiser but I do want to add for others that stumble on this thread that all Sportster's are not alike. I ride a 2011 Superlow and it's a well balanced bike. My hubby rides a full dresser and loves to ride mine at times. He also agrees that it's an easy handling bike. I moved up from a Honda Rebel (250). So, don't be afraid of a Sportster if that is what you want.

Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for.
tlc

Postby BlueHD4me » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:17 am

tlc wrote:I know you aren't looking for a cruiser but I do want to add for others that stumble on this thread that all Sportster's are not alike. I ride a 2011 Superlow and it's a well balanced bike.

I agree with Theresa on the above. HD re-configured the Sporsters (I forget what year) but the newer ones have a much lower center of gravity. I ride a 2013 Superlow and LOVE it.
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby BoggyGirl » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:12 am

I've got a 2015 HD Iron 883 that I love. I'm 5'1" and can firmly plant my feet with the right shoes :lol:. If you're looking for a sport bike, my best friend owned a Kawasaki Ninja 250 (I think they did away with these and they start at 300 now) that I also spent a lot of time riding. They have a nice upright sitting position, slight forward lean, similar to my Iron. Both are good choices and both can keep up with the best of them for what most of our riding styles are. Good luck!
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby tlc » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:26 pm

BlueHD4me wrote:HD re-configured the Sporsters (I forget what year) but the newer ones have a much lower center of gravity.

Leslie, my bike (a 2011) was the first year HD reconfigured them and was the main reason I bought mine along with seeing Genevieve's review of the bike.
tlc

Postby MCGrrrl » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Short rider 5'2" started on a Buell Blast. Google the name to look for images.

Pros: It looks like a sport bike, is 492cc and I can flat foot with the short seat. Easy to handle and light. They are relatively cheap. Great gas mileage. Mine was somewhere around 50 mpg. Excellent web site for help mechanically. http://www.badweatherbikers.com.
Cons: They aren't the fastest bike as they are single cylinder. Parts can be hard to find. No way to carry extra stuff in saddlebags.

My biggest caution is to not let your boyfriend push you past your skill level. Remember, you are no longer a rider so make decisions based on your own comfort level. And practice, practice, practice! There is no shame in practicing in a local parking lot. Learning under controlled conditions (like panic stops) is invaluable.

But most of all, have fun!
MCGrrrl

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:54 am

Theresa - isn't it amazing what a difference it made? When looking at used Sportsters it made it a no brainer for me as a TOTAL newbie. I could really tell the difference! :o
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Return to Introduce Yourself