Hello from Florida!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from Florida!

Postby Binnster » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:11 am

Hi - I took the MSF course this past weekend and am now shopping for a bike! Have never ridden before this weekend and have no illusions (or is that allusions) of being able to ride comfortably for a while. Luckily I live in a rural area a few hours north of Tampa so I will be putting a lot of hours on low-traffic roads and empty parking lots. Wearing full gear, bits and pieces of which are being shipped here this week! I wanted to wait to see if I could pass the course before I ordered anything! :D

I'm turning 50 next month so this was sort of a bucket list item for me. I'm single with two wonderful ex-husbands and no kids, have a retired greyhound and a 5th wheel camper that I drag around on the weekends. I may have to upgrade to a toy-hauler now! Hoping to find answers to a lot of silly beginner questions on this forum and make some new friends along the way!
Binnster

Re: Hello from Florida!

Postby monica » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:35 am

Go Binnster!! I took the class for my 66th birthday. 8900 miles on my first bike and 18,400 on my current one, in a year and a half. Two books I recommend; Proficient Motorcycling, and Mastering the Ride (More Proficient Motorcycling). They go into technique (made my throttle etc smoother among other things) and have a *lot* of safety stuff; what to look for, how to manage traffic, how to avoid, managing curves, just a lot of stuff. I re-read them to keep the info at the top of my head so my reactions are quicker than having to think. You'll have great fun. This forum is full of encouragers. You have a great start.
monica

Postby Binnster » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:59 am

Thanks, Monica! I will look for those now. I've been re-reading the MSF course book since I got home. It went so fast, there's just no way for all the information to stick the first pass. Turning corners was my challenge in the course. I have this mental image of me practicing on my country road and not being able to get home because I can't figure out how to get around the block. It will just be one loooong, straight ride. Ha! :lol:
Binnster

Postby tlc » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:02 pm

Binnster wrote:Hoping to find answers to a lot of silly beginner questions on this forum

No such thing as a silly question here. If you don't know, then you don't know :)

Welcome. The hubby and I spend a few weeks in Florida last year. We hauled the bikes there and rode all over the place. It was a "bucket list" deal for us as well.

Good luck with your bike search and ask away!
tlc

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:17 am

Wecome Binnster! So glad you found us. I too had never ridden my own motorcycle (I was a passenger) until I took the Motorcycle Safety Course in summer of 2015 (at the age of 53). Since then I've put over 14K on my Superlow ... without a doubt one of the BEST things I've ever done. I spent the first two weeks in a parking lot, my VERY patient husband would load my bike up after dinner and watch me ride around until the sun went down. I slowly ventured out to neighborhood streets ... all at my own pace. You'll know when you're ready to go faster, longer distances, etc. Listen to your inner voice/gut and be patient with yourself. Most of all, have FUN! :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby gatesb77 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 pm

Welcome and congrats on passing the MSF course. Some exciting times ahead for you! :D
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Postby dbsteffy » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:17 pm

Welcome Binnster to the forum and 2 wheels. Your adventure is just beginning and will not go in a straight line or always in a forward direction, but once you get in the saddle, keep trying, practicing, reading and asking questions. Everyone of us was new, some of us are much newer than others but all have experiences to share. We'll be your cheerleaders!
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Return to Introduce Yourself