Triker in North Alabama

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Triker in North Alabama

Postby TrikerNana123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello! I live in Huntsville, Alabama (actually in Owens Cross Roads, an eastern suburb on the road to Guntersville) and ride a shiny black 2013 Harley Tri-Glide. I started reading WRN just about the time I took my Basic Riding class in February, 2013 but somehow never got around to registering for the forum. At that time I lived in Birmingham, AL but I moved back to the Huntsville area a little over a year ago. When I saw a forum member from Guntersville (hi, Maxine!) I told myself it was time to register and see about finding some North Alabama riding buddies!

I loved being on a motorcycle from the first time I sneaked a ride on the back of my best friend's boyfriend's best friend's Indian way back in the dark ages of the late 1950s. Rode little scooters (remember those Honda 50s?) and small bikes (Suzuki, I think it was) for transportation in the late 60s and early 70s, but then life got very busy and I just forgot about riding. My beloved husband died in 2011 after a hard battle with cancer, and I just went through the motions of living for about 18 months. But there was a HOG Valentine's Day ride coming up, and a dear friend who had to work that Saturday said, "You've got to ride with Buzzy [her husband] on Saturday!" I did, and in between all my laughs and "Woo-hoo!"s while we were riding, I remembered once again the way pure joy feels.

I decided before that month was out to take the Basic Riding Class at the local Harley dealership. There were only three of us in the class: a 17-year old guy, a 35-year old guy, and a 70-year old granny (that would be me). I found the ages-math interesting and the class terrifying, on the first day. But I only dropped the bike a couple of times and at the end of the day one of the women at the dealership, who had been watching me in the class all day, gave me a high-five and advised, "Go home, take a long hot shower and a Tylenol and have a good supper, then go to bed and sleep. We'll see you in the morning." And I did, and it worked, and the next day's class wasn't nearly as difficult-seeming. And I passed!

I'd been looking at a pretty little ivory Sportster and kept coming back to visit it, but my left-brain instincts told me to do a pros-and-cons spreadsheet before I made a decision on what to buy. By the time the spreadsheet was complete, I had decided I should get a trike instead of a Sportster. Although it was more expensive (way more expensive), I knew that I wanted to ride long distances, that I'd often be riding by myself, that I wanted to ride through my 70s, that I had a total left-knee replacement since 2001 and therefore wasn't too certain about holding up a touring-sized bike when stopped, and that I'd feel all the same joy on a trike without nearly as many concerns. I consulted with my son and my two step-children (all of whom said, basically, "Go for it!"), and bought the trike. I have not regretted that decision a single time.

That's enough for now. I'm so glad this forum exists and I hope to be a good contributing member of it. Hi, y'all!
TrikerNana123

Re: Triker in North Alabama

Postby Myspirit » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

I think a trike sounds cool. I have thought about getting one myself. Heck you can go grocery shopping with a trike!

We look forward to seeing a photo.
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby TrikerNana123 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:03 pm

I'll get a photo up once I figure out how to do it!
TrikerNana123

Postby BlueHD4me » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:20 am

Welcome! I love, love, love your story!! Trike or two-wheels ... it is the same wind. I'll be on the look out for a photo (get those grandkids to help you!).
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:46 pm

Hi and welcome, T'nana, very glad you've joined the conversation. Learning to ride in your 70's makes you an inspiration to the 50's & 60's youngsters, what a senior ambassador you are. I'm sorry it took your beloved's death to bring you back to biking, I'm sure you are, too but you're living, living, living and riding in the wind.
And we luv pictures and stories.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby monica » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Hi! I'm in Guntersville (monica). I don't know many Guntersville bikers so there may be a Maxine but I don't know. I gave myself the riding class for my 66th birthday a year and a half ago. I didn't really have any experience before. I ride an Indian Scout 60 which has 18,400+ miles on it since June 17th 2016, and the Rebel I had before that had 8,900 miles. I mostly ride alone because as a photographer and bass player, my schedule doesn't often match others'. My husband died in October 2007. Glad you're getting back to the freedom of riding!
monica

Postby TrikerNana123 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Monica - I messed up your name; you are the Guntersville biker I referred to in my introduction. We need to meet and maybe ride together!
And thanks, forum members, for the welcomes. My tribe!
TrikerNana123

Postby monica » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:52 pm

Thursday night there was an incident at the gas station when I was filling my vehicle gas tank and my fingers were hurt on the right hand. Nothing dire, just exercise it carefully, ice it, and don't do anything heavy for several days. So it will be at least a week before I can ride again.
monica

Postby BlueHD4me » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:34 am

"Incident"???? Did you punch someone? :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby monica » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:44 pm

Leslie, no... a long trailer behind a work truck had its back tires and a metal bracket catch the back corner of my Traverse while I was pumping gas; it moved my vehicle 10-12 feet, jerked the nozzle out of my hand bruising my fingers (hard to type), and tore up the rear right lights and the front right lights with some other damage. The clerk at the time, John, knows me and that I ride; he used to. He said he didn't recognize me at first, because my arms were in motion and I was *LOUD* - before he recognized me he thought a fight was about to happen... I just got very very loud, saying 'hot spit' and DAMNATION repeatedly, which in my case is my level of over-the-top angry. But I didn't hit him, and I didn't call him names...
monica

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself