Hi from Kent, England

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hi from Kent, England

Postby April1323 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:17 am

Hi everyone.
I'm April and I'm very new to all this. I went out on the back of a friend's bike a few months ago thinking it would be a one off. Since then I have been bugging him to take me out more often. A lot of the times he couldn't so I thought why not learn to ride ... So I took my "beginners test" a month ago - bought myself a little 125cc bike and have been madly practising ever since. I am a very nervous rider ...and do everything wrong... but I am determined to master it!!

So I read a few forums about tips and shared stories and this one looked the best one - so decided to join. Look forward to 'meeting' you all. :)
April1323

Re: Hi from Kent, England

Postby BlueHD4me » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:14 am

Welcome April! So glad you decided to join us. I've "met" some amazing women here, the support and advice are priceless!

Post a photo of your bike when you have time. :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby monica » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:55 am

Hi April! Good for you! Practice practice practice. Happy riding.
monica

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:35 pm

Hi April, glad you found us and are joining the conversation. Got a picture of you and that bike? hint, hint.
This is a wonderful place for women riders, no attitudes or testosterone.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby April1323 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi again.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I will sort a picture out and try to load it. Im not great at technology!! I know enough for work purposes but thats about it.

It's been lovely weather here today so I was out on my bike for a good couple of hours. I was very brave and went out on busier roads than Im used to - and even got up to 5th gear!! A big step for me! :oops:

Does anyone have any tips of bends and corners? I know it sounds daft but on some I am absolutely fine - and quite confident - yet others I am wobbly and all over the place. I over rev the engine and my brain turns to jelly. My friend says if I go slow round corners I am likely to feel more unstable - but that's the problem - if I go any faster (which I tried today) I find I cant turn the corner tight enough and end up nearer the opposite side of the road....... :shock:

Just ordered a book online - Motorcycling For Dummies - hopefully I'll get some tips there too!
April1323

Postby monica » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:38 pm

Look past the corner, to where you are headed. I always go wide when I forget this and focus on the near area. Also slow before the curve so you can add some steady throttle without ending up going too fast in the curve. A little throttle will help stability. Smoothly! Don't cut the throttle suddenly. Back brake.
monica

Postby April1323 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:33 am

Hi Monica :) Yes, that's exactly what I remember the instructor telling me... almost word for word... 8-) And the thing is, I know it works because I did it a few times - but sometimes it just doesn't enter my head to do it. I guess it's just another thing that will come with time and practice.

Although I think Im good at "multi tasking" I find it harder to do on a bike - when Im worrying about cars and falling off!! But I definately feel a tiny bit more confident each time I go out. I cant wait for the summer months!!! And I felt on a bit of a high when I got back yesterday. I felt I had achieved something that I am really quite scared of doing!!! :o ;)
April1323

Postby monica » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:19 am

If you can find a large parking lot to practice in; a school on the weekend perhaps, then you won't have traffic to deal with as you make muscle memory practicing.
monica

Postby gatesb77 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum! I agree with Monica. Parking lot practice helped me sooo much and very early morning rides on the road when there's likely less traffic. Keep it up you got this!
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Postby April1323 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:50 am

Thanks everyone x
April1323

Return to Introduce Yourself