Hey! Newbie from NY

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hey! Newbie from NY

Postby DeputySprinkles » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:46 am

Hey everyone! I am a 40 year old new motorcycle rider/owner from Long Island, NY.

From my teens through my mid 20s I had always ridden on the back of a bike, & loved every minute of it. I eventually got married (he did not ride), later had my son, and was divorced after 3 1/2 years. I was a single mother for about 8 years, and never got back on a motorcycle, even though several of my friends had them. My thought was my son needs a mom more than I needed to be on a bike. Now, I'm a newlywed (got married in June after dating for over 6 years & being engaged for 4), and my son is now 13. My husband has never been on a bike, and has no desire to. But I still missed it, and it made it worse that a lot of guys in my department have bikes, & I have to walk by them everyday. My partner (who has been riding for over 13 years) volunteered to take the BRC with me (he is licensed already), and after passing & receiving my license, here we are!

I just bought a 2017 Victory Octane, & I love it! I was going back & forth between that & the Kawasaki Vulcan, but I thought this was a better investment with the higher cc. Some would say you shouldn't buy a new bike as your 1st, but I fell in love, and here we are. Right now I am just riding around the neighborhoods, getting used to it, and working on my skills before getting on a real road. I did drop my new baby already, I was in the driveway, it wasn't even on. I was sitting on it and attempting to walk it up my driveway into my garage (I normally ride it in), and boom! she went over. I am now waiting for a new break lever, & my highway bars are coming on Wednesday!
DeputySprinkles

Re: Hey! Newbie from NY

Postby monica » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:27 am

I test rode the Victory Octane!!! I loved that ride! The main reason I didn't get that is I planned on long-day riding, occasional trips, and the Indian Scout doesn't have me sit so far forward. It has sooooooo much get-up-and-go, you really need good throttle control. If I have to move the bike without the engine on I still sit on it and 'duck-walk'. I was moving it once at a gas station, the kickstand had been down, but dragged it a little unknowingly, so it wasn't secure when I let go... Happy riding!
monica

Postby dbsteffy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:50 pm

Hello and welcome DeputyS. Nice that you are going to live your dream. Highway bars are a bikes best friend.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby BlueHD4me » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:03 am

Welcome Deputy Sprinkles! I just googled your new baby ... Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! 8-) My kind of bike!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby DeputySprinkles » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 am

Thanks everyone! I do love my new baby. I have the reduced reach handlebars on it, maybe eventually will get the reduced reach seat, I want to ride it more before it decide. My friend drove it home from the dealership for me, & he was like OMG this bike is great! He has a Harley FatBob.
DeputySprinkles

Return to Introduce Yourself