Hello from Arizona!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from Arizona!

Postby Nekoagogo13 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi! My name is Robin. I started out as a passenger with my boyfriend but got tired of that so I've been learning to ride for about a year on an old chopped up Yamaha xj600. I just bought my first new bike, a Yamaha R3 sport bike a couple of months ago. I took a riders course and got my license endorsement. Although I feel comfortable riding, I'm 5'2 115lbs so stopping is my biggest cause of anxiety. I've made rookie mistakes and dropped my bike twice so far. That's what lead me to this forum. I needed to hear other women's stories to help me not feel like such a jerk when I make mistakes. I'm sure we all know how embarrassing it is on top of being a woman rider, I feel like I deal with extra scrutiny. Luckily my boyfriend is super encouraging to me. I know everyone makes mistakes when riding, I'm glad this forum exists so I can not feel so upset about my setbacks, suck it up and get back on and ride! :D
Nekoagogo13

Re: Hello from Arizona!

Postby BlueHD4me » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:13 pm

Welcome Robin! :D We've all made (and continue to make :o ) mistakes ... but to me those are lessons I don't forget! Suck it up is right ... the joy of riding waaaaaaaaaaaaaay out weighs the scrutiny factor!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Nekoagogo13 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

Thank you! I'm trying to not have a panic attack right now as I'm about to go home from work again for the second time after dropping my bike. This site is helping me get over my anxiety. In my heart I know i can do it. But i still have a mini panic attack before i jump on.
Nekoagogo13

Postby Myspirit » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Hi and welcome!

As you have probably heard it gets easier with practice.

What are the details of your drops? Is it as you are starting from a stop or something else? Usually if from a stop you either do not have your front wheel straight and/or are not giving it enough throttle.

For stopping, start shifting down as you approach. As you get closer start gradually applying both brakes simultaneously. If you feel you are going to stop too soon let off the brakes and coast a bit. Then gently apply both brakes simultaneously to come to the full stop.

Also if a car is behind me I will tap tap my rear brake to get the attention of the driver and alert that I will be stopping.

If you have a parking lot to practice in, that would be good. You could also practice quicker emergency stopping there as well.

Practice really does make perfect.

Have fun!
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby Nekoagogo13 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:32 am

Thank you! The first time I dropped it was when I was trying to back out of a parking spot. I'm short so I dont have a lot of room for error when on the bike. I've since learned to just get off the bike instead of trying to back out on my tippy toes. The last time I did just as you said. I stopped at an intersection that has a curve and I had the tire turned... down it went. I'm pretty good stopping on roads when I'm going straight. It's hills like on driveways and slanted roads or irregular pavement that freaks me out mostly. I panic sometimes and forget all the things i'm supposed to do. Since then I've taken to stopping whenever I feel safe, even if it's still a little ways to the intersection and then creeping forward. There's always those wobbly moments sometimes but if i stay focused on where I'm going to stop I handle it better.
Nekoagogo13

Postby motorbikemom » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:54 pm

You are doing great by just doing. You're out there, and you are working at it. That is all that counts.
From another new rider who has also dropped her bike. Join the drop-the-bike club. Laugh it off and keep buggering on. Cheers.
http://www.motorbikemom.com
motorbikemom

Postby monica » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:15 am

Hi Robin! There's lots of encouraging ladies here. Keep on practicing.
monica

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Hi Robin, glad you found 2 wheels and WRN. Dropped your bike a few times? Me, too but it's been a very long... no wait, mmm, if I remember correctly, it was LAST WEEKEND, in the GARAGE, I wasn't even ON IT :o ! It rolled right over when I pulled the lift from underneath it, the kickstand collapsed. That was drop #7, I think, maybe 6 or #8. I survived them all, so did the bikes, some times I had an audience :oops:. I hope it's a very long time before it happens, again.

Have you heard of Daytona Lady Star boots? They'll give you almost 2.5 inches of height, might get you on the balls of your feet, better than tippy toes. The price is a bit high but when you spread it out over several years, they would reasonable. There may be a Lady or 2 here who have them and can give a realistic review.

Be safe.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Return to Introduce Yourself