Hello from NC!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from NC!

Postby Kitkat74 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Hello ladies! I'm a brand new rider, and I do mean new...hubby bought me an 04 Sportster 1200 3 weeks ago. I have always loved bikes and Harleys in particular so there really was no question of my 1st bike being anything but a HD.
So, after a crash on my initial takeoff (not one of my finer moments....I almost created a new doorway in my house) and several drops combined with lots of reading and YouTube videos, I have gotten the hang of it. No more spills, much of the anxiety is gone and the confidence is building. I am doing parking lot work right now, getting a feel for the bike and how to keep it under control. Went from low speed turns and figure 8s to shifting up to 2nd gear in the span of an hour and a half. Given the fact that I had previously been terrified with an absolute death grip on the handlebars, that is huge.
I'm glad I found this forum and can't wait to get to know you ladies and learn about riding.
2004 Sportster 1200R
Kitkat74

Re: Hello from NC!

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:36 am

Welcom KitKat from a fellow HD Sporster (Superlow) rider! I'm a newbie too, just over a year/10K miles on my bike. Sounds like you're doing great! :D Are there any motorcycle safety courses in your area? Well worth the money & time spent to take them ... I actually took it twice (don't ask! lol!) and learned so much more the 2nd time. Keep us posted of your progress and just a hint, we LOVE photos!!!!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Kitkat74 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:51 am

Hi Leslie! Hubby and I are definitely going to take the safety course in the near future. Even though he's been riding 2 wheels in various capacities since he was a kid, it never hurts to learn something new. I want him to be as safe as possible when he's riding, as he does me.
I have absolutely gotten the "bug" now...we were watching the last part of Harley and the Davidsons last night and the very end where Walter Davidson took that knucklehead down the straightaway made my heart stop. I looked at my husband and said, "I want to ride my bike!" He just grinned, knowing that he has created a biker :D
The pic isn't that clear (not sure why) but this is my baby. Hubby changed the seat, took off the sissy bar and rear pegs and we absolutely HAD to get some forward foot controls. They were in a very weird position and shifting was tricky. Hopefully the new position will make things easier for me as I learn. The bike in the back is hubby's Heritage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Sportster 1200R
Kitkat74

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:37 pm

She's beautiful!! What seat did you put on? I'm loving the look of it. On my "to do/save my $" list is a custom seat. There's a place a couple of hours away from me that makes the most amazing seats :o check them out: http://www.ccseats.com/

Also, one of the upgrades I did to my Superlow is the Rinehart Crossback pipes (with Screaming Eagle air cleaner, power commander, dyno ... the whole shebang). She doesn't sound like your typical 883 anymore! :lol: AND a lot more power too!

I've got Harley & The Davidsons on the DVR, can't wait to watch it!

Keep in touch, ok?
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby Kitkat74 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks! The seat is a Mustang, bought off Craigslist for $150. (I LOVE finding deals on there) The stock seat felt like I was sitting on concrete and was a 2 up with no plans to ride anyone. It had to go. The pipes were on it when we bought it, still learning about parts and goodies but they're Vance & Hines...nice setup from what I've been told.
Hubby got my forward controls installed and he tested them out...all good in that department. So we took her out to the nearest parking lot so I could try them myself. A little awkward at first but what a difference! Like night and day. Once I figured out where to place my feet, that was all she wrote. I owned that parking lot...it's long, wide and the best part is that it's abandoned. Got her out and tested my limits, which today was a whopping 40mph and briefly up into 4th gear. I'm learning how to downshift, use my clutch and brakes to stay in control and have fun. Which I am! I had no idea it would feel like this!
I could go on and on but I'll stop now, lol. You'll love Harley and the Davidsons. Made me proud to own one.
2004 Sportster 1200R
Kitkat74

Postby BlueHD4me » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:48 am

I'm always looking on Craigslist too! In fact, just a couple of weeks ago I scored an almost new mesh women's jacket (I live in So Calif and it gets HOT) for $50!!! And it is washable, so you can bet I washed it! :lol:

We watched the first two episodes of Harley and The Davidsons last night, love it! :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby monica » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:18 am

Wheeeee! I took the riding class. They stress lots of safety, things to look out for and how to avoid, beyond just the physical skills, the mind skills.
monica

Postby texasagain2 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:02 am

Welcome KitKat! Nice bike! I am new to this forum also. I haven't had enough time to read a lot, but I am looking forward to hearing about everyone's adventures, advice and stories.
I agree with the other ladies...take the course as soon as you can, you will be so glad you did. I can't imagine buying a bike and just going out and riding...that has to be very scary. I spent 4 weeks after I took the class, riding in a 5 acre grass pasture doing figure 8's in first and second gear. I was too scared to take the bike on the road. I finally did and never looked back. What I learned in the class has helped me numerous times on the road.
The more miles you ride, the more confident you will get. Just remember, don't get too confident. Always ride like you are invisible...there are many idiots out there that don't and won't see you. Be defensive at every corner!
You have some beautiful country out there in NC to ride. I envy you! The Cherohala and the Blue Ridge from Cherokee to Asheville, will always be two of my most memorable and favorite roads that I have ridden.
Be safe.
texasagain2

Postby dbsteffy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello kitkat, glad you found us. I'll echo the others about the safety course, it will give you a solid foundation to build your skills with. Plus, the instructors are professionals and know exactly how to teach newbies. And I took it twice, too. Long story :D .
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Return to Introduce Yourself