Pre-planning stages in NoVA

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Pre-planning stages in NoVA

Postby filmmommy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:30 am

Hello, all!

I'm not quite ready to take my MSF course yet and have been lurking on the forum for a few weeks. Looking to take the course in early spring. I am reading everything I can and talking to my one friend with a motorcycle (male) who is also somewhat of a beginner. I have a 2-year-old and a nearly 5-year-old, and I work a busy full-time job, and money is tight, so part of me thinks it's crazy that I want to start riding now, but something is pulling me toward this spring. My husband is somewhat on-board, provided I buy as cheap of a bike as I can. I'm 40, so not getting any younger. I have zero riding experience, other than one ride on the back of my friend's bike, but I have wanted to do it since I was a kid.

I'm looking for lots of advice, as I'm one of those "read everything before doing" extensive planning sorts of people. Also, if there are any women riders in the NoVA area I could use a riding mentor (specifically in the Prince William/Fauquier County/Culpeper area, but beyond, as well)! I'd also love to hear from any other moms with 2 small kids who are riding. Ha-ha -- I only recently stopped writing to my breastfeeding forum, and am now onto the motorcycle forum! :D
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Re: Pre-planning stages in NoVA

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:52 am

Hi FilmMommy,

I didn't take the MSF and start riding until I was 53. My only regret? I didn't do it sooner!!

Welcome to the forum ... keep us posted on your progress :D
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby gatesb77 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:40 am

Welcome Filmmommy,

I just got my license in March and got my first bike in May. It's a vintage bike so it needed a bit of work. So I just recently started riding it. It's been a blast. You wont regret it. It's something I always wanted to do since I was a kid as well and I sure am glad I finally got into it. It's been hard to find time to ride. As a newbie I've been trying to stick to local roads and ride at times when fewer cars are out on the road. So that leaves me with later in the evening (which I'm not quite ready for night riding) and early mornings on the weekend. Trying to get out there as much as I can because I'm eager to learn and practice what I've learned but it is proving to be tougher than I thought. Patience is a virtue I'm constantly working on ;) .

Good luck with the course. It's a lot of fun!
Dorothy
2017 Harley Street Bob
1975 cb400f
gatesb77

Postby tlc » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi and welcome :D

There is lots of good information in the begginers section if you haven't read through it yet. It's located here: viewforum.php?f=26
There's a thread in that section called "Some tips for Newbies" that has some good info in as well. That one is located here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1139
And one more: http://www.womenridersnow.com/pages/Mot ... iders.aspx

Any idea of what type of bike you will be looking for?
tlc

Postby filmmommy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:18 am

Thank you for all the great info already, everyone! Theresa, I think I only right now know I'm looking for a cruiser style. I have been doing lots of research (including reading the Beginner Bikes section here) but price, size, proximity to a good repair place (we have a Honda and Yamaha shop in town) will probably all factor into my decision. I expect most of my riding will be to and from work -- about 30 miles on a busy 4-lane road, but it's not quite a highway. So I will need to take my usual work supplies with me (lunch, workout clothes, paperwork).

I expect to be sending a million questions to you guys over time, so thanks for being so responsive already.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Postby DeputySprinkles » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:56 am

Hi!

I'm a 40 year old newbie also. Just got my license back in September after taking the BRC. Honestly, it was the best thing I ever did!. I do thing that you shouldn't take the BRC/MSF course until you are ready to have some kind of motorcycle, even if it is a small one like you would use in the course. If you take it & don't keep riding, I think you do lose the skills you just learned. When you finally do decide to do it, take your time, & keep practicing!

I also love to read and learn, & the best books so far are "Proficient Motorcycling" & "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough.

I am a mom also (my son is a teenager), & I am definitely more relaxed & zen after riding!
DeputySprinkles

Postby monica » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:23 am

I agree with Deputy Sprinkles. I have those 2 books and continue to gain improvement. A lady in my riding class didn't get a motorcycle for a year so she took the class again before riding much. I took the course at 66 with no riding experience to speak of except half an hour with my brother long long ago. I had a Honda Rebel 250 which was great to learn on; there are others I'm sure, and rebels that are more powerful. Good luck finding a good fit. Most dealers have used ones also.
monica

Return to Introduce Yourself