Hello from NW Arizona!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from NW Arizona!

Postby uafnanook2001 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:16 am

Hi Everybody!
So, a little bit about me and motorcycles: I think I had always wanted to ride but the time never seemed right. Then, in 2009, while living in Alaska, I finally signed up for the Harley Davidson Riders Edge program out of Denali Harley in Wasilla, Alaska. We trained on 2008/2009 Buell Blasts. I passed the course and we (my partner & I) purchased a new 2009 Yamaha XT250. We needed a dual sport bike then as we lived in a very rural area of SW Alaska that was 98% dirt roads. Well, I only rode it once or twice as the seat height was WAY too tall for me to feel comfortable. So, years passed without riding. Then, in 2012, I retired & we moved to NW Arizona, to a house on 8 acres of desert. Now that we were in a place where you can ride almost year around, I was once again drawn back to motorcycles. On March 5th of 2016, we went & purchased two Sportsters from Mother Road Harley Davidson in Kingman, Arizona. I have a 2013 XL883 and the other is a 2006 1200C. I like the 883 as it has mid controls, something I'm more familiar with than the forward controls. We had the bikes delivered and 5 hours after they were delivered, we went on our first ride. We live on a dirt road that you must use to get to the paved main road of our rural town. Well, at the stop sign, there is an incline. And, yes, I somehow managed to drop the bike on the left side. We got it back up and I immediately "over throttled" and ended up flying across the paved road & skidding in dirt for a ways. I was bruised & scraped but, with help, we got the bike up, again. It was here I was wondering about motorcycling. However, I got back up on the bike and we had a quick 12 mile ride before coming back home. That was on March 8th. I haven't been back on the bike as I wanted all my bruises and aches to heal first. So, this weekend we plan on riding both Saturday & Sunday. My partner is riding my bike up to the pavement and then I'll take over from there until I feel more sure about stopping/starting from an incline. I'm not scared or nervous but I just want to get to a place where I can safely ride my bike, no matter the situation. I realize it will take time but I'm determined and refuse to give up. I am 58 yrs old & people are already amazed I handled wrecking the bike so well AND continued on for a 12 mile ride! :) If anybody has any tips, I'm welcome to hearing them. (Oh and before you say, "Just ride in a parking lot for a while" - I can't. We actually have no paved parking lots here - the closest ones are nearly an hour away. So, that's why I feel I'll just have to ride on the 'regular' road. It's mostly in a 45 or 55 mph speed zone, though, so nothing real fast with a lot of cars.) :D
Never give up on something you want. Go for it!
uafnanook2001

Re: Hello from NW Arizona!

Postby Ametha Elf » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:27 pm

Hi uafnanook, you sound like the sort of person who can achieve anything you put your mind to so I have absolutely no doubt that you will overcome this obstacle in next to no time. All I can suggest is venture out when the roads are at their quietest. You have a really supportive partner and that is awesome, good luck with everything and please let us know how it all goes.
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby BlueHD4me » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:43 am

Hi uafnanook,

Our bikes are twins! :o I also ride a 2013 Superlow in Big Pearl Blue! Welcome to the forum, there are some wonderful, supportive ladies here. As a new rider (about 7 months) and also in my 50's I don't have any advice except for don't quit!! Post back here after your weekend rides and let us know how it went.
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby uafnanook2001 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:38 pm

BlueHD4me: Well, my isn't "Big Pearl Blue" but I WISH it was! Whoever owned it before me custom painted it (and not too well, I might add) so I'm not sure WHAT exact color it is. I did think, though, that if I were rich, I'd have it painted back to Big Pearl Blue and look like yours! :-) Yes, I'll let you all know how the ride goes this weekend.
uafnanook2001

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:37 am

Hi uafnanook, here you are, learning to ride a motorcycle in your late 50's on dirt roads and no practice parking lots, You Go Girl! You sound very determined and that will get you farther down the road than ability, in the beginning, so keep at it. Be smart about how you handle the 45/50 mph traffic, you don't want to put yourself or others in harms way, go out a low volume times if you can, pull over and let the speedy gonzalezes go by so they don't rattle you. Be nervous, a little; be scared, a little; be aware, a lot and be excited, a lot. You're now following a longtime dream and at the end of the riding day, it's fun.

P.S. I googled your name, are you a hockey team?

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby uafnanook2001 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:33 am

dbsteffy: if you googled "uafnanook" you would be partially correct about the hockey team. Actually, UAF is the University of Alaska Fairbanks and the Nanook is their team mascot. I graduated from there in 2001 - hence, uafnanook2001 is my forum name. :-)
uafnanook2001

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Thanks uaf. You certainly did a 180 on your weather.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby tlc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:13 pm

A hello and welcome from Oregon :) We will be passing through Arizona here in a few days. We are hoping to stop in Sedona if weather permits. We've heard it's a great place to go.
tlc

Postby uafnanook2001 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:22 am

Ok, so I told you guys I'd report back after my weekend riding & let you all know how it went. I didn't report back on the first three days of this week as I'm having a hard time grasping what all happened, myself! So, we were planning on riding both Saturday & Sunday. We had errands to run, first, on Saturday so weren't ready to ride until about 2 pm or so. My bike was taken up the dirt road (where I live) and was going to be up on the paved, main road so I wouldn't have to worry about that stop sign, on an incline, in the dirt. When the bike was brought up, all went well until the gasoline shifted in the tank, on a tight, uphill U-turn to the right, and the bike, and rider, went down on the right side. :shock: And this was an experienced rider! At this point, my front brake lever was bent so far out, I couldn't even reach it. Plus, I wondered if it even worked correctly now. So, we ran back home and got the 5 X 8 trailer up to where the bike was. A friend happened by, thankfully, and helped us get the bike loaded. We tied it down and brought it home. That was the end of my bike riding, for now. We have an appointment, on Saturday morning, to take the bike to the H-D dealership, where we bought it, and have them replace the brake lever and look it all over and make sure it's only scratched up but mechanically sound. Yet, through all of this, I continue to be optimistic and can't wait to be able to ride it, to get more 'seat time' in on it. I love this bike, even with ALL the blemishes, and know that someday I'll be able to ride it all the time. :D
uafnanook2001

Postby Ametha Elf » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Sorry to read about the setback, but just think how sweet the victory will be when you can successfully ride it along that stretch of road in the future. (and it WILL happen) :D
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself