Hello from Western NY

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Hello from Western NY

Postby SPY » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:34 am

Hello!

I'm Sandi, and I just found this forum today, while searching (unsuccessfully) for a local riders forum. I currently live in Niagara County, but I work in Buffalo, NY. The weather is FINALLY breaking for riding. I just hope it doesn't go straight to 90 degrees!

I moved here in 2012, from Washington State, where I learned to ride and had year round riding. I started on dirt, in the Olympic National Forest, as seen in my avatar. Rocky hills and muddy trails made riding on logging roads seem so easy by comparison. I started wanting a street bike, but I didn't have anyone to show me the ropes. (I started riding dirt bikes at the age of 40, because I found a small group of women riders and my new best friend, 8 years older than me, was doing it and encouraged me to try. I was hooked!) At 40, you have a strong sense of self-preservation that you might not have in your teens/20's. :) The upside to a failed marriage is that I met a man who would turn out to be THE ONE for me, and he rode dirt and street and was super supportive of helping learn to ride street bikes and making sure I bought the right first bike. My first bike was a 2005 Suzuki SV650 I bought in 2010 with 861 miles on it! I loved that bike! But after 5 years on it, I wanted a more upright riding position. I'm about to close the deal on a Triumph Street Triple (dealing on an R model, but may choose a non-R, depending on the deal) that feels like it was made just for me. I never expected to fall so in love with my next bike, on a test ride. I was afraid I would have remorse over selling the SV. My fickle heart has been appeased! I also test rode a Ducati Monster 821, and LOVED it, for different reasons. It was a really tough decision, but in the end, I will be happier with a bike that feels like an extension of me, rather than "something I'm sitting on top of that I can handle". (But oooooooooooh, that Ducati sound! That would have been so sweet to hear every day.)

In WA, I was a member of pnwriders.com and played photo tag a lot. I miss that. I keep trying to find a local group to start photo tag with. Or group rides. Getting tempted to start my own.....
2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Former:
SV650S
WR250R, TTR-230, CRF150F
SPY

Re: Hello from Western NY

Postby BoggyGirl » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Welcome Sandi! I'm in the southern corner of the US in Florida so I can't really help with finding a rider group up there. Photo tag does sound fun though. Our weather broke quite nicely a month or so ago but now we're in the rainy season. Won't be long, we'll be baking in the 90s. The new bike sounds great! I hope you get the one you love!
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby Ametha Elf » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi Sandy, great to meet you! Really cant help with the local group but all the best with your new ride and hope you get exactly what you want. My hubby used to ride a Triumph and LOVED it. Sounds like its just perfect for your needs. :D
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby tlc » Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi Sandi and welcome to the WRN forum. I'm glad you found us :D
tlc

Postby KOfromCO » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:48 pm

Welcome from Colorado. I can't wait to hear all about the new ride and would love to see a pic.
Current: '17 HD Street Glide Special (crushed ice pearl)
Prior:
'13 HD Softail Deluxe (3/13 - 9/17) (red)
'11 Honda Shadow Arrow 750 (6/12 - 3/13) (red)
'11 V-Star 250
(3/12 - 6/12) (black)
KOfromCO

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:13 pm

Hello Sandi and welcome. I hope you find some friends to form your posse. I ride mostly with my Hubby, do some solo and we have a small group of friends that we enjoy. I love being on 2 wheels and came to it years later than you, I was 57 when I got the bug, better late than never.
Buffalo just came through a brutal winter, glad you survived.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby SPY » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:24 am

Thanks for the warm welcome, everybody! :)
2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Former:
SV650S
WR250R, TTR-230, CRF150F
SPY

Return to Introduce Yourself