hello from indiana

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Re: hello from indiana

Postby jennsmith346 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:50 am

i hope i have not come off as judging anyone, because that would be far from the truth. i respect what women riders have done and know without you i would have not had the courage to even attempt what i am currently doing. Also the more i learn the more i realize i know nothing. i am just glad i have a place to gain knowledge, share heartbreak, and hopefully find friends that share my passion for motorcycles (which has not always been the case).
Jen
1970 HD Shovelhead
jennsmith346

Postby dshinaut » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:56 am

Welcome to the forum Jen. That's quite a jump from a Rebel to a Shovelhead but it sounds like you've taken all the right steps. I'm sure your Dad would be proud.
My Dad was the one that gave me my love for motorcycles. He raced bikes when I was little and had us all riding before we were 10. I bought a Softail Slim last summer and was so happy that he's still around to share it with. He was almost as excited as I was.
It's nice you have a husband that is supportive. It makes riding twice as much fun if you can share it.
Enjoy the ride!
Donna
D Shinaut
Softail Slim Rider
Lincoln, NE
dshinaut

Postby tlc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:42 am

jennsmith346 wrote:i hope i have not come off as judging anyone, because that would be far from the truth.

No, no, no, no, no!
Go back and read the second paragraph of what Brrrr-enda (dbsteffy) wrote. ~ what she said :)

jennsmith346 wrote:Also the more i learn the more i realize i know nothing..

Me too.

jennsmith346 wrote: i am just glad i have a place to gain knowledge, share heartbreak, and hopefully find friends that share my passion for motorcycles

Me too.
tlc

Postby jennsmith346 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:28 am

not sure how to do that cool quote thing but..

"This forum is by a woman for women, we have all levels of experience, all kinds of opinions and we express them, but we respect the fact that we are not all the same and our thoughts and the way we look at life is not wrong, just different. That's why I'm here, to share, not to be judged." --dbsteffy

I love that statement and just want her to know I am the last one to judge anybody (an attempt to validate her not wanting to be judged and me not wanting to ever come off as judging).
Jen
1970 HD Shovelhead
jennsmith346

Postby dbsteffy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:10 pm

jennsmith346 wrote:i hope i have not come off as judging anyone, because that would be far from the truth. i respect what women riders have done and know without you i would have not had the courage to even attempt what i am currently doing. Also the more i learn the more i realize i know nothing. i am just glad i have a place to gain knowledge, share heartbreak, and hopefully find friends that share my passion for motorcycles (which has not always been the case).

Oh Jen, I hope you didn't get the wrong impression from my post. I meant to confirm your observation of the attitude of some other forums. We are very protective of this space and of our ability to say what we need and how we feel, to get support and inspiration and a verbal butt kick if necessary. We know our value as women first and riders second. I have my weaknesses, fears, tantrums and bitchy moments, lots of those, that I can confess here and no one will tell me I'm an asshole. I was gone from the forum for a long time, not for any specific reason, maybe just not enough time to do and be everywhere I could be but when I popped back in, it is still welcoming and friendly. I remembered how great these ladies are.

I hope you feel that you've found the right crowd to fall in with, we will lead you down the winding road, with a bit of hooliganism just because.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby tlc » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:16 am

jennsmith346 wrote:not sure how to do that cool quote thing

Here is a direct link instructions on how to do the quote thing :)

Direct link: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1432
tlc

Postby 7of9 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 am

Welcome! Wow...a shovelhead full of memories!

I'm so sorry for all the loss you've had in your life, but I'm betting you'll have company as you ride down the road, watching over you. I hope you add many more wonderful memories to that bike.
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby falldreamin » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum! That is awesome what you are riding, I bet you will turn a lot of heads as well! The memories and the fact that it was your dad's bike has got to be a great feeling every time you take it down the road, that is fantastic.

I am in Fort Wayne. If you ever find yourself up to the North or somewhere in between let me know! I ride with a small group of other lady riders a lot and it is a lot of fun when it is just us gals. As everyone has stated, women versus men riding, there are pro's and con's and differences and similarities, but sometimes it is just nice to get out with the gals every once and awhile and leave the testosterone at home! LOL....

If we plan any rides to the south, I will let you know as well! Congrats on the bike!
falldreamin

Postby Kelly » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:47 pm

Jen,
Hello and welcome
First, I wish to say THANK YOU for your service to our country. You and all the veterans, such as those in my family, risk everything to protect us and our country. So, again I thank you.

Congratulations to you and your husband on the new adventure. I must say, riding is addicting so I expect that you and your husband will start racking up the miles.

We are from all over the world and of all range in experience so, we can learn and enjoy each others diversity in experience and life.

Happy riding!!!!
Kelly
2008 Harley Sporty XL1200L
1996 Suzuki Savage 650
Kelly

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself