New Member from South Africa

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

New Member from South Africa

Postby ColleenC » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 pm

Hi

I am new to the forum and all the way from Cape Town, South Africa - so it is Summer time here for us for a little bit longer :)

I have been riding for a little bit over a year now although I don't ride nearly as much as I would like to so my mileage is a bit lower than I would like it to be. I am a bit of a shorty and have no other riders in my family who could help me learn so I am riding a CBR250R - beautiful bike :D - and I am enjoying it so far.

I find the biking community quite interesting...maybe because it is quite male dominant :P ...but it ranges from really fantastic people who love to ride and are happy to have anyone tag along and are always willing to help or advise to those who feel that if you are not what they consider a "real biker" then you shouldn't be on 2 wheels. I enjoy riding alone because it is nice to be able to ride at your own pace but the breakfast and cooldrink stops get a bit lonely so I generally tend to go with a group who is willing to have a little 250 tag along :)

Anyway I am looking forward to reading things from the female perspective and learning from all the tips and advice :)

Thanks
Colleen
ColleenC

Re: New Member from South Africa

Postby Ametha Elf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi Colleen, welcome. :D There's a few of us from Australia here so its great to see another from the Southern Hemisphere ranks. We've had a long hot summer (as always) and I'm looking forward to the cooler months rolling in. Don't worry about what others think, as it really doesn't matter if you're on a 50cc or 2 litre bike, you are out there on two wheels enjoying the ride just like everybody else. You'll find that there are far more accepting people of lady riders than those who look down their noses at us. I learnt on a CBR250, you're right, they really are a great bike and very confidence inspiring. I've heard there are many great roads in South Africa so if you ever have a few pics of either your bike or places you ride to, Id love to see them.
Last edited by Ametha Elf on Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:38 pm

Hello Colleen, very glad you found your love of 2 wheels. Women can and do ride motorcycles and you're right about the old guard of male riders not wanting us on the road with them, but they are quickly become the unpopular minority, here, hopefully in your part of the world, too. I have only a few mildly negative experiences and they were with cagers!
So ride on, ride safely and get as many miles in as you can. What is winter like in Cape Town? Snow, rain, freezing weather? Pictures ;).

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby CarolinaGirl » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:11 am

Hi Colleen,

Welcome to the forum and riding! I love that you guys are able to ride now in the summer! We are coming out of winter soon & I look forward to riding more often!! As it hit 60 degrees, I was able to get out yesterday. I used it to practice slow turns in the parking lot (my husband thinks I'm silly for that!). I enjoy riding on my own, I get to go at my own pace without being pushed to someone else's style.

Ride safe!

~René
2015 Vulcan S
Holy Cow....I passed the test!
~Rene

Said goodbye to the little rebel @ 1580 miles
CarolinaGirl

Postby ColleenC » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:13 am

Thanks guys! :) we don't get snow in the cities here only high up on the mountains in winter so luckily we don't have to contend with that. We get a LOT of rain though so am bracing myself for that although I think if it looks like a settled-in-for-the-day kind of rain then I will choose to stay at home by the heater :) but hopefully we will get a few good riding days out of the winter time

We have some amazing roads to ride in the Western Cape, which is the province (something like your State in the US) that I live in. I have ridden quite a few of them since I have been here. I moved back to Cape Town from Johannesburg last year August so am getting used to riding a bike down here. Up there the weather is a lot more stable and there is no wind! Riding in the wind down here is pretty tough for me. Everyone says it is something I have to get used to so hopefully one day it won't feel like such a challenge :)

Anyway one of the roads we have here is really amazing especially during Whale watching season (September / October) so here are a couple of pics of that:

Riding on Rooiels.jpg

Pic 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ColleenC

Postby Ametha Elf » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:41 pm

Awesome scenery!!
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby dbsteffy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Beautiful views Colleen and you ride on the wrong side of the road :).

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby ColleenC » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:23 am

LOL! :) Here we ride and drive on the left :)
ColleenC

Postby tlc » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:02 am

Hi Colleen and welcome! :D

What a beautiful area to ride in and thank you for sharing the pictures with us. I love seeing what other countries look like other than what you see in books and magazines.

The one pic you posted of you riding, to me, it looks like you are "one with the bike", eyes forward looking where you want to go and riding smoothly around the turn~ well done! You look good on your bike 8-)

When I first looked at the pic I thought " Jeepers, she is riding on the wrong side of the road"! Then I read you live in South Africa :lol: I was scared there for a minute.

I'm looking forward to learning more about you, your ride and where you ride.

Keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up!
tlc

Return to Introduce Yourself