New Member; old Rider - umm, not American...

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Re: New Member; old Rider - umm, not American...

Postby Wyochick » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:03 am

Once you get out west, gas stops can be an issue, depending on your tank size. What might look like a short ride on the map can leave you out of gas. It happens every year when we see people headed to Sturgis going through Cheyenne on Hwy 85. People decide not to gas up in Cheyenne, thinking that they will gas up in the next town. Not all of those little towns on the maps have a gas station. Some of them here in Wyoming are barely towns at all. Just an intersection in the road.
Wyochick

Postby Essspe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:57 am

Thanks for the tip Wyochick - we have so-called 'highways' like that here too. Our tanks and reserve bottles will have a range of about 300 miles but we will definitely keep our eye out for fuel stops. The availability of Premium Unleaded fuel could also be a problem for us in some places.
Essspe
AUS: 1983 BMW R80g/s
O/S: 2015 BMW R1200 GS
Essspe

Postby Essspe » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 am

dbsteffy wrote:… and much more scenic than freeway slabs with their ugly noise reduction walls. Hubby and I prefer these roads, the pace is less hectic, they get us to our favorite coffee shop, the Amish country store, are full of motorcycles, one or two at a time and large herds, too.
… My longest day ride has been 330 miles done on my VStar 1300, with lunch and several stops to see the sights. It was an easy ride on the county roads and took about 7 hours and I had at least 50 miles more left in me. … I hope that gives you a glimpse of my hood. Brenda

We too have those ugly noise reduction walls on the freeways and tollways close in to cities, but not further out. We will be looking to use the local roads wherever possible, for the same reasons that you and your husband choose them. Elsewhere on WRN you have mentioned needing to keep an eye out for the wildlife (deer) so that is good to know. Here the koalas are in plague proportions and they are travelling further to get the right food (gum leaves). Because we are in the hills and right next to a national park, we see them and kangaroos often. Dusk is a bad time to be on the roads for us, so we try to be stopped before then. Thanks for sharing some of your part of the world with me. Finding those nice coffee shops is something I'll be doing often too. Susan
Essspe
AUS: 1983 BMW R80g/s
O/S: 2015 BMW R1200 GS
Essspe

Postby tlc » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:55 am

Essspe wrote:In March we are starting the first phase of our 'retirement plan' (also known as Spending the Kids' Inheritance)

LOVE this!!! I'm going to do the same thing ;)

Hello and welcome. As you know by now we have a few Aussie members here and some of which make "the big travel" to here in the States.
I'm glad you were able to get the pics uploaded and thank you for sharing them.

I also echo what Wyochick says about fueling up here in the West. I'll also throw out there that Premium (high octane fuel) can be a problem in some areas so carrying "octane booster" if your bike requires it, is a good idea.
tlc

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself