New Rider from Northern California

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Re: New Rider from Northern California

Postby jaeholix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm

Maine Rider wrote:Hi Jae,

Welcome to the forum! As others have already said it just takes time riding your bike to get comfortable. It sounds like you have experienced a lot of different scenarios already in your first few months, so I can tell "fear" is not going to hold you back. About the "jerky" shifting, I relied on my tachometer a lot in the beginning to know when it was time to shift. Also, riding alone in the beginning is what I did. No pressure from anyone to go faster, pull out quicker, etc., etc., I still ride alone as my husband does not ride and thoroughly enjoy the solitude. I'm on my timeframe, can stop wherever, whenever.

Good luck to you as you begin this new chapter in your life.

Thank you! I think I'm impatient, because I don't get to ride often. It's nice to know I'm not unique in my experiences. I only know male riders, personally, and they usually have a, er, different approach to things.
jaeholix

Postby jaeholix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:37 pm

tlc wrote:Welcome Jae :)

Thanks for the welcome!
jaeholix

Postby jaeholix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Kelly wrote:Jae,
Welcome. Sounds like you have encountered much in a short time. No worries, you will soon be an old pro. In my first year of riding, long ago, I was detoured off onto a gravel/dirt road. I had to ride a a small stripe of asphalt due to road construction which was the width of a balance beam. I had to stop suddenly going 55 mph because 2 cars decided to get in an accident. I had to ride over debris in the road (remember not to try to ride over anything that you cannot eat in one sitting). When I had a weekend of good weather, a driver in a Mazda Miata wanted to race me off the line. Whenever I ride, I am super vigilant because of all the crazy drivers out by me. People think I am crazy to want to ride. I say, you only live once.

Enjoy and be safe.

That is so crazy! Well I think I still overreact to almost getting hit, even though it happens almost every time I ride. Being super-vigilant is right, thank you, it'll do me good to remember that. Everyone tells me that too, even my partner was conflicted on whether to support me or not. My dad (retired highway patrol) was definitely against it, but I had the same response as you!
jaeholix

Postby jaeholix » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:56 pm

Ccosenza wrote:Also a new rider.. Southern California! Riding a 2004 Honda VTX 1300... Bought it in July with 4000 miles on it. Turned 7000 miles it during my last ride!

Oh man! Congrats on that lovely bike, and all that riding you've been doing! Enjoying that So Cal weather ? :p
jaeholix

Postby wingryder92 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:18 pm

A little late saying Welcome and congrats on the license and the bike. Just remember when you ride...ride your ride...don't let the pressure of falling behind make you twist that throttle to keep up. It's not a good thing to "go faster than your Angel can fly".
Have a safe ride!
Debra
YOU CAN'T PUT IT ON WHEN YOU'RE GOING DOWN
LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO
'03 GoldWing 1800
'92 GoldWing w/Daytona 2x2 Sidecar(for my Aussies!)
ATGATT W/ POLICE STYLE SAFETY VEST
wingryder92

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself