Greetings from Maine

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Greetings from Maine

Postby Maine Rider » Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi Everybody,
I am a new member of WRN and wanted to introduce myself. I live on an offshore island in Maine, accessible by a ferry boat, which means taking riding my motorcycle on and off a boat to get to the mainland where I can really do some riding. The island I live on is only about 7,000 acres in size, so it's hard to put 10 miles on my bike when I go out for a ride here. I just traded in my 2006 Harley Sportster on a new 2014 Harley Softail Deluxe three weeks ago. I love my new ride! Despite it being a much bigger bike, it is actually much easier to ride, and oh, so comfortable.

I rode a motorcycle in high school and then not again for about 30 years. I can't believe I spent so many years without a motorcycle and now intend to make up for it. I've been on several solo multi-day trips along the coast of Maine in the last two years. I'm hoping to find the courage to take a solo trip to Nova Scotia next year and ride the Cabot Trail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Maine Rider

Re: Greetings from Maine

Postby Ametha Elf » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:48 am

Nice pic, you sure do have a lovely ride. Your planned solo trip sounds awesome and you have the right bike to do it with. I bet you know every inch of your island by now!
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby Maine Rider » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:47 am

Ametha Elf: I sure do know every inch of my island's roads. Every crack, every bump, every little pile of gravel. If the road commissioner ever needs a first hand report on what roads need work I'm the person to tell him. When I got my last bike, a 2006 Sportster, I rode 600 miles on the island to get comfortable enough to take it on the ferry to the mainland to ride. That was a lot of trips around the island where you can hardly get past third gear.
Donna
2014 Harley Softail Deluxe
Maine Rider

Postby tlc » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:12 am

I love this pic and your ride. You're looking good in the neighborhood. Something about bikes with fat fenders says it all to me. :D

Thanks for sharing a pic of your ride and we are looking forward to getting to "know" you better.

Welcome!
tlc

Postby dbsteffy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:14 am

Hello Maine Rider and welcome.
That's a great pic, nice ride and scenery. I can see you like a cartoon character with your eyes still going round in circles after doing all those miles on 7,000 acres :D . You probably developed great bike handling skills on the island. Are you the only rider?
Stay dry on that ferry trip.

Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Maine Rider » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:35 am

Thanks for the warm welcome ladies! Brenda, I am the only rider if you mean, does my husband ride? He has a motorcycle license and can ride my bike, but is not interested in a bike of his own. Suits me fine as I enjoy solo trips off the island.

Theresa, I agree with your "fat fenders" comment. I love the nostalgic look of my new bike. I'm glad I had the Sportster for two years to learn to ride and honestly will tell you that the Softail is an easier bike to ride and handle. A great low center of gravity makes all the difference. I am a much more confident rider on the new bike.

Thanks again for your welcome to WRN.
Donna
Maine Rider

Postby dbsteffy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 am

MR, I wondered if you were the only rider on the island? Your community must be so close-knit, how may are you?
And it's great that you and Hubby are good with the rider - nonrider arrangement.
Brenda
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby Maine Rider » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:52 am

Hi Brenda,
Agree on the rider-non-rider agreement. I couldn't believe it when my husband didn't even ask how much the new bike was going to cost. He just said, "It's your decision." WOW, wasn't expecting that. About the island, there are others with bikes out here, but I now own the newest motorcycle on the island. There are about 350 year-round residents and I would guess there are about a dozen motorcycles on the island, four of them belonging to women. I'm the only woman that rides on a regular basis and goes off island to travel on longer trips. We are a lobstering community, the main occupation. Two young lobstermen just got their motorcycle licenses this summer and both bought small road/off road bikes recently. They came back on the ferry with me when I was bringing my new bike back. They had a bike in the back of their pickup. They got out to drool over my new ride. They are both in their early 20s and here I am a woman in my mid 50s. Funny contrast, me with the big bike and them with their little starter bikes. I assured them that some day they would graduate up to a big bike after they got some riding time in.
Donna
Maine Rider

Postby BusyBean » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:45 am

Hello from your only bordering state! :) I am on a 07 sportster now, but am thinking about upgrading next summer to a Softail Slim. Seems to be a pretty common move. I can't wait for demo days in the spring. :)
BJ ~ Southern NH
2007 883 Sportster Low
BusyBean

Postby Maine Rider » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi BJ,
I have a friend that just got a Softail Slim trading up from a Sportster. She loves it. I can't say enough of how much I am enjoying my Softail Deluxe. I was out riding today and I can't get over how easy this bike is to ride. You will not be disappointed if you move up to the Softail. Hoping for another good month of riding opportunities before I have to put my bike away for the winter.
Donna
Maine Rider

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself