Greetings from Texas!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Greetings from Texas!

Postby k143clen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:02 am

Hi, everyone. I'm a "seasoned" rider who lives near San Antonio, Texas. My first bike was a Honda Rebel 250. I've since had a Buell Blast and a Honda VLX. Being small (4'11"), I struggled to find a larger bike on which I felt comfortable. Although I loved my VLX, at slower speeds, I always felt skittish. My little Rebel was like an extension of me. I could zip anywhere! It was a wonderful feeling, but I lacked the power to keep up with my Goldwing-ed husband. I tried being a passenger for a bit, but THAT wasn't going to last long! ;) So, I recently purchased a Can Am Spyder. I'm in love. At first I thought I'd made a mistake because it rode so differently. But, now, I can fly around the turns with no problem and keep up with my husband! Actually, sometimes I almost run over him. :) He's still getting used to the fact that he doesn't have to start off slower or wait for me to catch up!

I'm so glad to see the number of women riders increase and hear them become more vocal. Taking up riding has been so empowering for me, and I can't imagine my life without it. I'm constantly amused at people's reaction to my riding. Either they make a comment about my size or, most often, it's that I'm a "girl" and ride my own. Whenever other women express an interest in riding, I encourage them to attend a safety course and, then, go for it! It doesn't matter what you ride, just ride for the sake of riding and all the great things that go with it -- fresh air, exploration, camaraderie, accomplishment, stress-relief, etc.

I hope to see some of you out there! Be safe and spread the word. :)
k143clen

Re: Greetings from Texas!

Postby 7of9 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:10 pm

Welcome! :D
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby Ametha Elf » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi and welcome! The very first bike I rode on my very first lesson was a Rebel, I loved that bike. I understand your struggle to find a bike to fit, I have had the same problem and I am 2 inches taller than you are. Glad you got the Can Am, because it sounds like youre really happy with it.
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby tlc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:56 pm

k143clen wrote:It doesn't matter what you ride, just ride for the sake of riding and all the great things that go with it -- fresh air, exploration, camaraderie, accomplishment, stress-relief, etc.

True and I feel the same way.

My first road bike as a Honda Rebel. Loved that bike and wish I still had it. Sold it to another lady rider that was just starting out so I guess it was meant to be.

Texas is on my list to visit here in the next year or so. They say everything is big in Texas and I want to see for myself :D

Welcome to the forum and keep on ridin'.
tlc

Postby BtWoman » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:12 am

Hey k143clen,
Welcome aboard! Those Can Ams are neat! I sat on one at a bike show and they feel very comfortable! Cheers!
BtWoman

Return to Introduce Yourself