New rider from Ontario, Canada

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

New rider from Ontario, Canada

Postby Grannygee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:26 am

Hello everybody. I decided at the age of 60 that I would learn to ride a motorcycle. This was something that was definitely NOT on my bucket list. My husband rides and he kept saying to me, "Too bad you don't have your license." So I studied the rules for riding and wrote the test to obtain my M1 license. (In Ontario, we have a graduated licensing system. You don't receive your full motorcycle license for 2 years and providing you pass the road test). I didn't tell my husband I was going for the M1 and showed it to him when I got home. Needless to say, he was shocked!!!! Not long after, he purchased a Yamaha Virago 250 for me to ride and to learn on. The first day was a little scary, but I've done very well since. I've signed up for the motorcycle course at the end of June and if I pass that, I will be given my M2 license. Hopefully, I will continue to improve and gain confidence. Still can't believe I'm doing this at my age. Some days, I really question the wisdom of what I'm doing and other days, I'm ok with it. Hopefully, I'll eventually get comfortable with my decision. I enjoy reading all the comments on this forum and wish everyone safe riding.
Grannygee

Re: New rider from Ontario, Canada

Postby tlc » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:49 am

I am always amazed when I read a story like this. I'm not that far off from you age wise and when you hear someone in their 60s taking up riding for the first time it's just mind boggling.
But I think my way of thinking is 'old fashioned'. The image of an 'old person' that I had when I was younger was a wrinkled up, broken down oldster in their late 50's :o . When I really think about it, older people were really wrinkled and broken down from years of hard work, being in the sun so they looked really old when they were in their 50's. Nowadays, I think that a person (in my view) isn't really old until they are in their late 70's or 80's. We have a better understanding of health, better products and for the most part we don't toil in the fields like the folks did in the early days.
Ok, so where am I going with this? Well, I think that starting to ride later in life should not be as shocking as it is. We are better built to get more mileage out of our bodies. So like they say "50 is the new 40" and so on.

So, welcome to the WRN forum. I support you in your next life chapter and good for you for taking the big step!

Looking forward to hearing how your journey goes :D
tlc

Postby 7of9 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:20 am

Welcome and way to go!!! :D
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby Ametha Elf » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Hi Grannygee and welcome! We have a similiar type of licence system here in Queensland and I think theres a lot of sense in the way they make it graded. I too started out on a Yamaha Virago 250 and rode that around for 10,000 klms and a year before upgrading to an 1100 (which was an easy upgrade, because I got the useful experience beforehand). I LOVED the 250!!! :D Very confidence inspiring. I also agree with tlc, in that what we once thought was "old" was really the result of a hard life and early ageing. I've known a spritely 80 year old gentleman who could put people half his age to shame and what he could achieve was amazing, plus, he had a twinkle in his eye which said it all about the way he viewed life. I used to think that old age was 15 years older than whatever age I was at the time! :lol: but that meant when I was say, 20, old age started at 35!!! :lol: Anyway, those doubts you have now and again are pretty much what all riders go through in the early stages, no matter what age they are! Just remember to take everything at your own pace and you'll do just fine, I promise!!
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby Grannygee » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Thank you ladies for the kind words and encouragement. Very much appreciated.
Grannygee

Postby BtWoman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:53 am

Welcome Grannygee. I am here in the same province, too. I, too, questioned my sanity about riding in the beginning. If someone had told me early in 2003 that I would be riding a motorcycle by spring, I would have told them they are talking to the wrong person! But, I was and for the first few years I was certain that I would not survive any rides to another city. It was the most insane thing I have ever done, I thought. As long as you're strong enough, pfffft, what's age got to do with it?!! Cheers!
BtWoman

Return to Introduce Yourself