Another New Rider From MA!

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Another New Rider From MA!

Postby MrsBillius » Sat May 31, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi, All! I'm a new rider from the crowded state of Massachusetts. Thanks for having me!

My two sons are grown (24 and 22), we became grandparents on May 4th, I turned 50 on May 17th and spent 9 hours that day and 9 hours the following day completing MSF and obtaining my motorcycle license, alongside my husband. I have 6 brothers (my twin and 5 older) that ride with their wives as passengers, but I wanted my own bike. I have terminal lung disease and before I'm lugging an oxygen tank or am not capable of riding, I want to do what I've always dreamed of - I have a VERY short "bucket" list.

I just bought my first bike today! Can I get a WOOOHOOO?!!!! I contemplated long and hard between a 650 and an 800 - sat on LOTS of bikes. Just loved the Suzuki Boulevard C50 800cc, so I bought it. I didn't want to buy new for my first bike, I thought that would be just a tad irresponsible. I am certain I will grow in confidence and ability with the 800 as long as I'm wise about it. And I am. I'm aware of the temptation to start with too much bike, but this one isn't too much for me. I plan to practice and practice, get lots of seat time. I plan to ride like they're all out to get me - I plan to ride defensively and expect car drivers to do exactly what they should NOT and assume they don't see me/us. As far as the size of this bike, the only real adjustment for me, the biggest adjustment is the additional weight. I put about a mile on it today (I actually got in a minor car accident when someone ran a red light last night, so my back is not up to riding more than that today, go figure) .. I let someone else ride it home for me on the main roads .. that traffic would have been too much for this beginner.

My husband is shopping for his first bike and I can't wait until he gets his. He rode mine today.

I'd love to hear advice from any of you - I'm going to read lots and watch videos. I'm glad I found this forum. I am so excited. :)

MrsBillius (Denise)
'08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
MrsBillius (Denise)
'08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
MrsBillius

Re: Another New Rider From MA!

Postby KungFuManda » Sat May 31, 2014 6:03 pm

Welcome fellow MA rider! Your story is very empowering, I love to hear you are facing life head on and doing what makes you happy! I admire your determination and strength! Congratulations on your first bike purchase! Sounds like you found the bike that speaks to you. There will be plenty of room to grow into the bike as your skills grow. I have been riding for three years and still have a permit… haven't gotten around to that course yet… Its nice that you can get your license at the end of it. Sounds like you are doing things right and finding roads that are not busy to ride on. Traffic can be intimidating, and I stuck to quiet roads for months as well, with my husband following behind me on his bike in case I fell into any trouble. I spent a lot of time pulling over to let traffic pass (as I had difficulty at first going any speed over 30!). On one of my first rides, there was a group of bicyclists that we kept passing by (then they would pass by us when I had to pull over again) It was very funny because by the third or fourth time they passed us they all shouted to me "you're doing great! keep up the hard work!" It was a mixture of amusement and embarrassment!!

My biggest recommendation would be finding the right gear. I would suggest the folks at revzilla.com their customer service people are extremely helpful. I found a jacket and pants from Rev'It, who has a suit that is made with a women's body in mind. Welcome to the forum and happy riding! Nothing is better than the feeling of riding on your own bike!
2012 Ducati Monster 796
2000 MR2S
KungFuManda

Postby Ametha Elf » Sat May 31, 2014 6:40 pm

Hi Denise, and welcome! :D You have started riding at the same age I did (50) and it sounds like you are well on your way to mastering riding skills. Congratulations on your bikes purchase and for grabbing this experience for all its worth and going for it with all you have! Id love to see pics of your new baby. :D
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby chrome_hummingbird » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:31 am

Hi MrsB! welcome to the site and to riding! Congrats on your new bike.

My hubby has a terminal cancer that has met stage IV to his lungs so we totally get where you are coming from with bucket lists. He went out in April and bought his dream bike a Heritage Soft tail Classic.

So here's one little trick to help you with your back. To get my bike off its side stand when I'm first starting up I turn my handle bars/front wheel all the way over to the left. Then I lift my bike up off the stand. The bike comes up so much easier and my back never feels the twinge from the weight. Just remember to straighten your wheel out before your try to move it. I can get the HD off it's side stand that way as well so I if I have to move it, it's not a big deal.

One other thing your might want to have a check into is the position of your handle bars. I got the mechanic to move mine back and down about an inch and it made a world of different to my seating position/back/arms/hands. Most bikes have about a 2" play to work with,

Congrats on being a GP. We are expecting our 4th grandkidlet on June 24.
NEVER argue with a woman holding a torque wrench.

My Ride: 2011 Yamaha V-Star Silverado 1100.
chrome_hummingbird

Postby tlc » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:59 am

MrsBillius wrote:I just bought my first bike today! Can I get a WOOOHOOO?!!!!

Heck yes you can get a WHOOOHOOO!!! And you get a welcome to the forum as well :D

When I first read your intro Denise it kind of knocked the wind out of me to be perfectly honest. I can't imagine being in your shoes. It took me a couple of days for me to figure out what I would want to say to you and all I can really think of is YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!
We all know life is short and it really rings true when you get into your 50s'. Then throw in some rude diagnosis and wow you have to really haul butt to get stuff done.

The minor car accident you were in, were you riding your bike when it happened? The way I read it I'm thinking yes..
tlc

Postby 7of9 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:46 pm

Congrats on the new bike and yes, you certainly can get a WOOHOO!!!! :D

I hope you really enjoy every moment riding it!
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby Sunschild57 » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:24 pm

You are an inspiration! Welcome from Atlanta, GA.
I'm Jean and I ride a 2009 Victory Kingpin named Sundance.
Sunschild57

Postby MrsBillius » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:18 pm

image.jpg
Thanks for the warm welcome. I knew I'd found the right place. My accident was in my car and here's my new (used) baby:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrsBillius (Denise)
'08 Suzuki Boulevard C50
MrsBillius

Postby tlc » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:52 pm

Denise, I flipped your picture around so we can see it better. Nice ride you got there :D
tlc

Postby Ametha Elf » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Wow, very nice ride there!
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself