Cindy from Long Island

Who are you? Where are you from? What do you ride? Share a little bit about yourself here.

Cindy from Long Island

Postby TreeFey » Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Hey Ladies - I've been a passenger for some 20k miles and I am a newbie in the driver's seat - MSF Class, license, few lessons and a 2003 Buell Blast - know I need time in the parking lot - just so much going on all at one time - the clutch and the brake and the shift and the push and the lean and then I realize there are REAR VIEW MIRRORS tooooo and like a lot of you I hear over and over "I'm over thinking it!" After 59 years of thinking I don't know how else to do anything but think about it!! Wish me luck and I look forward to your support and words of wisdom !!
TreeFey

Re: Cindy from Long Island

Postby Falkor » Thu May 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Hi Cindy, I've only been riding for 2 months myself and I so hear what you are saying. Keep me updated how it goes.
Falkor

Postby wingryder92 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:55 pm

Cindy....congrats on the license and the bike! Sounds like you're having some fun out there. You have to get to a point...somewhere...a point where you just "DO IT". Thinking through things is good when you're a beginner and it's good when you're not a beginner. We all end up in situations where a decision has to be made but it takes times to see the results of all that thinking that you've done. Sort of lets you say to yourself...I've seen this before or I've done this before and this is what I did about it or this is what worked. You just have to be reasonable and not overthink every little detail or it'll get you in trouble because you'll still be sitting there wondering what to do! You should do fine when you get a few miles and realize that you don't have to know all the chemical reactions, physical reactions, how it's made, how it works, or even why it works. Think about your car...how much do you now about all that went into building it, making it work, why it works, etc....so read about it and understand things to a point but keep it mind that it works and has been tested and it's just waiting for you to have some fun. Enjoy and relax...keep alert though :mrgreen:
Debra
HAVE A SAFE RIDE!
YOU CAN'T PUT IT ON WHEN YOU'RE GOING DOWN
LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO
'03 GoldWing 1800
'92 GoldWing w/Daytona 2x2 Sidecar(for my Aussies!)
ATGATT W/ POLICE STYLE SAFETY VEST
wingryder92

Postby Ametha Elf » Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 am

Hi Cindy, it sounds like youre just like me when I was learning. It seems like theres so much to take in and do all at once but it really does get to the point where you wont even think about it, in time, riding will become second nature. Right now, just go your own pace with everything, and give yourself a big pat on the back for all the times you know youre progressing, and try to just forget about the mistakes. I think youre doing just fine, and congratulations on starting this great addictive adventure!
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby tlc » Fri May 02, 2014 3:10 pm

Can't add to what others have said but welcome to the group. :D

Looking forward to hearing more about your new life adventure!
tlc

Postby HollyJo » Fri May 02, 2014 6:37 pm

Welcome aboard Cindy! I'm also an over thinker, it's just something I've done so long, and I now have to overcome it! Just keep on keeping on lady! :)
HollyJo

Postby TreeFey » Sun May 04, 2014 5:38 am

Well ladies I did it!! About an hour yesterday at the nearby community college - my partner road me on the back of the Buell and I did the parking lot - then he suggested I try the road loop and off I went !! A few cars but it was great! Today I will ride from the house back to the college for some more practice! Maybe I CAN do this!!
TreeFey

Postby tlc » Sun May 04, 2014 8:45 pm

TreeFey wrote:Maybe I CAN do this!!

You can do this! Keep telling yourself that you can ride over and over. Everyone has to learn and start from square one just like you. :D Let us know how it goes!
tlc

Postby BtWoman » Mon May 05, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi TreeFey, and welcome! Yes, there will come a time when you'll think "Why was this SO hard?" That light-bulb moment comes for all of us when we are ready. Sounds like you are doing great! My first bike was a Buell Blast, too. It's a great little forgiving and confidence-building bike for a newbie.
BtWoman

Postby TreeFey » Wed May 07, 2014 5:36 pm

Last night first night ride! Ordered a windscreen hoping its as "universal"as they claim. It is getting better all the time!!!
TreeFey

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself