How to resize an image with Paint

Suggestions on what topics you'd like to see

How to resize an image with Paint

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:17 am

These instructions are for Windows operating systems.

Pictures have to be less than 2 megabytes and be .jpg or .gif file extension. I'm not sure if .png is supported and would have to check on that. The .jpg files has the most pixels (color and clarity). .gif files are compressed a bit more with less detail. It's up to you which file extension you choose.

First you need to check the size of the image if it won't post here (or you can just try to see if it works but my guess is that it didn't which is why you are reading this ;) ).

Do this.

Find pic and right click to open the pic's details.
Look at the file size. I highlighted in yellow. This pic/file is too large to post here. It has to be less than 2 MG.

step01.JPG

This pic will need to be resized. Here are the steps of how to do with MS Paint.

You will need to navigate to "Windows Accessories" to find the Paint program.

Next:

Open Paint> go to File > select Open
Navigate to find the pic you want to post (usually My Pictures or Desktop).

Find the file, click on it and the file name appears in the box. Next select OK.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tlc

Re: How to resize an image with Paint

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:31 am

Now the file/picture will appear in the Paint editing screen.
Look at the lower left portion of the screen and you will see the file size along with the file dimensions circled in pink-ish. We need to change these so it will post here.

step03.JPG

Now we move on to resizing the pic.

Click "Resize" (highlighted in pink-ish) and you should see a popup window with some options. By default it will look like the one below but we will change the settings I highlighted in yellow here in a sec.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tlc

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:52 am

Now we will make the changes.

Click inside the circle next to Pixels (circled in pink-ish). That should move the "dot" over to Pixels.
Below that highlighted in yellow is "Horizontal", we want to change those numbers that are in that box. 800 is usually a good number to add there but once you get "good" at doing this feel free to tweak those settings.
Once you click and type in 800 into that box the numbers in the "Vertical" box should change automatically, in this case it's 600. Now click "OK".
Now your resized pic will be in the screen. Don't be alarmed yet if the file size hasn't changed. It will change once we save the pic which we are going to do next.

step06.JPG

Next, go to File > to Save As, then give your file a name. <<<This step is very important. You need to give the picture you just edited a different name than the original. You can add a number after or whatever you choose. If you do not change the name then you will no longer have a copy of the original. The program will write right over the top of the original file so it will now ALWAYS be smaller. You may not care about that or you may :o You can also change where you want to keep the file. I normally place these kinds of files on my Desktop so I can find them quicker for posting and trash them after if I no longer need that edited copy~ that's just how I do it.

Once you have renamed your new pic, click "Save"
tlc

Postby tlc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:58 am

Now your resized pic will show in the screen and if you look at the lower left of the screen you will see a new file size. I circled this in pink-ish.
You can now post your pic.
I hope these steps make it easier for you to post pics. Once you do it a few times - just like learning to ride- it gets easier :)
tlc

Return to This Forum