2000 Blast!

2000 Blast!

Postby 7of9 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:35 pm

Raven Molly has a little sister!
We got a really good deal on her. She has low mileage and was well maintained and already has the low profile seat. I can't wait to try her out! :D I'm keeping Raven Molly for longer trips and plan on using this bike for shorter in town rides and to practice my slow speed skills.
Last edited by 7of9 on Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 9 times in total.
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Re: 2000 Blast!

Postby Ametha Elf » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:48 pm

V-e-r-y nice! Lucky you! :D
Sue
1995 Yamaha Virago 1100cc
Ametha Elf

Postby 7of9 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:36 pm

I took "lil red" as we're calling her for now out for a brief spin in a parking lot and a short run around the neighborhood this evening in the rain. I had to take it a little easy because it was raining and because we got chased out of the parking lot by the security guard. (Ok, really he told me to take a couple more laps and then move along...he was very nice. We usually use that spot on the weekends, but apparently they don't want it used for practice on weeknights.)

My first impressions...

This bike is TINY!!! I'm sure if I hadn't been riding a larger bike before this bike it wouldn't have seemed so small, but after my 1100, this bike seemed REALLY small. On the bright side, it means that you really can maneuver very easily on it. I found it very easy to walk around and very easy to shift. I have the low profile seat on her and it sits at 25.5 inches, making my feet very secure on the ground. The stock handlebars give you good leverage over the front tire and it's just very responsive overall.

One big difference I found right away was that you can do a tight turn on this bike with your forks fully locked and there is no "dive." That's something I've had to get used to being VERY cautious about my other bike. She'll dive right over in a tight turn if you aren't very careful. The Blast is just a very forgiving bike all around. Lanes seem a lot bigger and you just can maneuver around very easily.

The downsides...they call these bikes "Thumpers" for a reason. There is a lot of vibration and "thump" from the engine, the lower the speed the more thump. It's also a bit clunky shifting, particularly from first to second. It feels a little like a slight "buck," but not enough that you can't easily adjust to it. The ride overall is not that smooth and while you have lots of room to maneuver, potholes and other road hazards also loom larger. I also found it took a bit of getting used to being in traffic and feeling a bit smaller in proportion to cars. If you're used to a cruiser, you may be used to feeling like you have more bike between you and traffic than you may on this bike.

Overall, I think the Blast is a great value with used bikes tending to be easily available at good prices and is a great bike to practice close maneuvering. However, I think it has similar issues to other beginner bikes, like the 250 V-star in that you may quickly find yourself wishing for a bit more bike for highway or longer distance riding.
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby 7of9 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:23 pm

And second day impressions...

This bike really is just fun. If my 1100 Shadow is a rock song, this bike is more a fun 80's pop song that's easy to sing along to. As I've gotten used to the way it handles and the size difference, it really is just incredibly easy to handle in traffic and through stoplight after stoplight and turn after turn. I'm already wondering what she'd be like on a nice twisty road as well.

If you can pick one up used cheaply, I think they're a great little fun starter bike or a bike for zipping around on crowded city streets. I already find that situations with distracted or insane city drivers are easier to handle on her and less nerve-wracking. Who knows...I may just keep her longer term as a fun little commuter, even after the beginner stage. 8-)
2014 HD Softail Slim
7of9

Postby CarolinaGirl » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:33 pm

I am so glad you got one! It looks like you enjoy this one as much as I enjoy my Rebel. The small cramped feeling is why I wanted the larger bike (and lack of power) but how it just goes around anything so easily makes it so much fun to ride! I am really glad you found one at a good price. It's really cute too. Have fun!
2015 Vulcan S
Holy Cow....I passed the test!
~Rene

Said goodbye to the little rebel @ 1580 miles
CarolinaGirl

Return to Buell