Turn signal reflector repair

Discussion on style and brands of motorcycles

Turn signal reflector repair

Postby filmmommy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:09 am

I dropped my bike in the driveway today trying to check air pressure in the tires with a new compressor (it is going back!). The only damage I noticed was the platic reflector on the left turn signal came off. I thought it would snap back on but no dice. It doesn't appear broken. Does anyone know how to fix them? Are they cemented on? I may have to venture to my local repair shop soon, which I am not sure I am ready for. But don't know if I can get a ticket for riding like this.

Was proud of myself for picking my bike up, but then of course had a sucky ride due to the stress.
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Re: Turn signal reflector repair

Postby dbsteffy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm

Super Glue? I would probably do that myself if it didn't clip back on. At least it would get you to the repair shop.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby tlc » Mon May 01, 2017 5:21 pm

The lens for the turn-signals should not be glued on from the factory. They should snap on or be held on by 2 screws. I think your bike has the snap on style from the pics I could find.

Check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAUNkaWOjGY

It's not the same bike as yours but see if the the lens looks the same. They have a closeup part way into the video.
tlc

Postby filmmommy » Tue May 02, 2017 5:03 am

That video confirms what I was sort of thinking, which is that possibly only the round part came off and maybe some parts stayed in. Also, I think they were glued or cemented in in the first place, because there was some goo or something on the lens that came off. And I tried to take the other one off to compare, and couldn't get it off with a screwdriver. According to what I've read and this video, that should have been pretty easy.

So I super-glued it -- before Brenda's suggestion even! I took the lens to my local shop (doesn't carry Suzuki parts but can order) to see if they had anything similar, and they actually told me to super-glue it. I didn't want to do that since I assume some day I'll have to change the bulb, but they said we'd just have to break it or re-glue it if it happens.

I was in no hurry to get a new bike, but having no manual (although I downloaded one for another year) and lots of questions about what was done to this bike in the past makes me think I may be looking sooner rather than later!
Amy

2009 Suzuki Boulevard S40 (purchased spring of 2017)
filmmommy

Return to Motorcycles