Buell Blast Won't start....Tried a few things..

Advice for new riders

Buell Blast Won't start....Tried a few things..

Postby ladyverity » Thu May 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Afternoon Ladies..

So I finally get a few days off and some decent weather and decide its time to just get going.

I put the key in and nothing. Well, a little of something then nothing.

So I change the battery. (Not hard but a little scary for a first timer anyway..)

Nothing much again so I call up the folks at the closest bike shop nearby and they believe because the bike has bene sitting that it is probably the spark plug. So I figure out how to move the gas tank over and get in there and after a wee match of tug and war it comes out. Fine. I tidy it all back neatly and try to start the bike.

Nothing.

A few other forums mention now that this must be a problem with the carburetor.

I don't know what do now; any help from anyone familiar with the problem would be appreciated. (I recall there are a few current and/former MSF instructors who visit here. I know the Buells aren't around much but they were in regular use and I know my bike is a good introductory bike..)

Thanks,
ladyverity

Re: Buell Blast Won't start....Tried a few things..

Postby tlc » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 am

ladyverity wrote:Well, a little of something then nothing.

Not sure what this means. Will the bike turn over at all? Does it crank over fast (like normal for the bike) or is it sluggish or start to crank and then stops?

If it were my bike, I would make sure the battery is actually getting charged up. Are the connections clean and free of corrosion. I would pull the battery and take it in to have it checked out. If you have a friend with the same battery you could do a swap and see what happens. Sometimes a battery can seem like it's taking a full charge but really isn't if its been left to discharge and the plates have corroded/solidified. Batteries do get old and need to be replaced if the bike cranks slow or it's not keeping up with the drain.

I have the original battery in my bike and is time to get replaced. Its slow to crank over when I first fire it up and then seems fine for the rest of the ride but I know it's time.
tlc

Postby deeg » Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 pm

You said you put in a fresh battery. I'm going to assume that the battery was properly charged before you installed it, and that now it will crank and crank and crank and not fire up. Right?

How long has the bike been sitting? What kind of fuel did you put in it last? 'Most' of the gas out there has alcohol in it. Its crap and it does not so nice things to your bike. That could cause the jets in your carb to clog, especially if it's been sitting for a while and you haven't run any non alcohol fuel or fuel stabilizer through it. I made that mistake with my Rebel. It will run with throttle, but it won't idle, because the idle jet is clogged. .

Need a bit more info.....
deeg

Postby Zaandar » Sun May 28, 2017 6:47 pm

I'm not so sure about that bike shop you contacted... I would not think the spark plug would go bad from just sitting for a few months (how long did it sit idle?). Make sure the contacts don't have any black deposits. I agree with deeg's assessment though. Fuel is not supposed to sit in a tank for more than about 6 months. It does go bad. At this point, I would try to spray some carb cleaner in the carburetor to make sure everything in there is opening/closing properly, maybe a fuel additive or if you could, just empty the tank and put some fresh fuel in there. Definitely check the charge on the new battery.
Sandra

2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S (650cc)
Zaandar

Postby MCGrrrl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:55 am

I am a former Blast owner. DON"T MESS with the carb. You may want to post on the Bad Weather Bikers forum. They specialize in Buells. The nickname for Blasts are Thumpers. Here is a direct link to the Thumper forum. http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/m ... 1496309191

They are super helpful and knowledgeable. You may even find your answer in the FAQs.

Keep us informed!
MCGrrrl

Postby MCGrrrl » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:31 pm

Did you ever get the bike running? If so, what did you do?
MCGrrrl

Return to Beginners