Upgraded to a 2008 Shadow Spirit 750

Upgraded to a 2008 Shadow Spirit 750

Postby stephps » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:24 am

It happened! Here's the only good photo so far of my new ride. I've had my license and been riding for a few months over a year now, so I never expected to upgrade so soon while still a beginner - I loved my 250 and felt very comfortable on it. But some issues with the old Hyosung prompted a change for the sake of having something easier to fix, more available parts, and more mechanics around who are willing to work on it.

(Side note: the Hyosung was sold to it's third woman owner, and the previous owner of the Shadow is also a woman. Nice!)

I've only ridden it once so far because I've been so busy and it's parked with family two hours away right now. I want to to ride a couple more times there before making the longer trip home. My dad, though, is riding it all over the place while being nostalgic for the Shadow he had years ago. He added the sissy bar. Now that my schedule has calmed down and I'm settled into a new home, I'm looking forward to riding all fall.

I was a little nervous about a bigger, more powerful bike while I get used to the nuances of it, but the ride is so much smoother that it was instant love. I didn't realize how much vibration I had gotten used to on the 250 until now, plus now I see how more power means much less shifting. I did drop it in my first three seconds - maybe making a hard turn out of a driveway on a hill and over a bit of gravel and pine needles for my first few seconds of getting to know my upgrade wasn't such a smart idea. I didn't give it enough power when taking off and went down with it, but was not at all hurt - it was sort of like I just ran out of steam and the bike gently placed me on the ground in slow motion, then I rolled off backwards. Oops!

Anyway, I'm psyched for more adventures and the prospect of being able to take much longer rides now. I was going on day-long rides with the 250, but I often felt a little ache-y and beat up afterward.

Coming eventually: hard saddle bags and a very short windshield.
Also it has aftermarket blue LED accent lights installed around the engine, but those are illegal in my state so I won't be using them at all.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stephps

Re: Upgraded to a 2008 Shadow Spirit 750

Postby Myspirit » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:08 pm

Congrats on your Shadow. I have the 2009 Shadow Spirit and love it. They are easy to move around and have plenty of power to keep up with others. And great gas mileage. The stock seat can be a bit tiresome on longer rides but nothing a break cannot cure.

I wonder why your state does not like LEDs. I would think the more lighting would mean easier to see and thus safer.

I think you will really enjoy your bike.
First bike 1998 Honda Rebel
Second bike 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit 750cc
Myspirit

Postby BlueHD4me » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:07 am

:D Congrats Steph! She's beautiful!!!!
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby dbsteffy » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:23 pm

steph, you are going to have so much fun on the new ride, faster, smoother, less buzzy, gobs more passing and uphill power. Mind your speedo, you'll be zooming down the roads going much faster than it feels, you don't want start receiving high performance awards.
Nice looking ride. May I suggest an engine guard, it protects all the sticking out pieces when the bike lays on it's side.
Brenda

Not stopping now.
dbsteffy

Postby BlueHD4me » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:39 am

dbsteffy wrote: you'll be zooming down the roads going much faster than it feels, you don't want start receiving high performance awards.

High performance awards!! That is classic!! :lol:
Leslie
2013 HD Superlow "BOMBA"
BlueHD4me

Postby BoggyGirl » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:25 am

That's a good looking bike! Congrats on the upgrade, it's amazing what the difference is!

Just a note, I think all 50 states have laws against using any auxiliary lights on a vehicle that are the same as an emergency vehicle. So red, white, blue, and orange are off limits for accents.
**Be the kind of woman who, when your feet hit the floor in the morning, the Devil says "oh no, she's up".**

"Filter/Sexy Beast" - 2015 Harley Davidson XL883N Iron, Sand Camo Denim
BoggyGirl

Postby Melanie » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:44 pm

Congratulations! I just upgraded from the 2008 to a 2014 Shadow Spirit 750. You are going to love it!!!!!
Melanie

Postby DeputySprinkles » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:15 am

Congrats!!! She's beautiful. Just remember the basics- that is consistent no matter what size bike.

Is that a Goldwing in the back?
DeputySprinkles

Postby stephps » Tue May 09, 2017 9:05 am

Yes, that Goldwing is my dad's!
stephps

Return to Honda