Bike upgrade question

Bike upgrade question

Postby Lcrume » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm a pretty new rider - 6 months & 2200 miles - I am looking to upgrade from a Honda CTX 700n to a Yamaha FJ09. I plan to keep both bikes. My concern and question is being a new rider will it be bad going back and forth between a completely naked bike to a bike with all the bells and whistles including abs and traction control and a lot more power?
Lcrume

Re: Bike upgrade question

Postby deeg » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:43 pm

I have several bikes in the stable, from 70's era BMW airheads to newer BMW's, Honda's & Moto Guzzi's. I do need to stop and think for a few seconds about the bike I'm on.

BMW turn switches are different than everyone else's. This bike I can't take on the freeway...this bike likes to be double clutched...this bikes controls are a bit different than all the others. This one has drum brakes front and rear, this one has dual up front and ABS, this one has linked brakes. This one won't start unless the kickstand is up and the clutch is in, this one will not care if you leave the side stand down when you put it in gear. Oh yeah, and this one you have to turn the headlight on manually.

get on the bike, take a couple seconds to 'remember' where everything is and what its capabilities are. Then take off and have fun!
deeg

Re: Bike upgrade question

Postby Lcrume » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:02 am

Cool thanks for the tip!
Lcrume

Return to Yamaha